mpg? wat yours doing?

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
filled up, my a4 tdi, ive drove only 11.6 miles and now the center display is showing 535 miles (left in the tank) any idea's?

Also i got 148.5 miles on 23 quid is this right A4 tdi 130 bhp awx engine
Center display shows 590 miles,.

Sounds about right.
I have one that's been Revo'd. When filled up my display sometimes shows 600+ miles to go, but after a while this generally settles down to approx. 550, maybe a little less with some energetic use of the right foot!

Since I've had mine, I seem to always get 500+ on a tank full...

Mine's is 1.9TDI 100, +25?? tuning box. I'm getting 650 - 700 on a full tank with a variety of driving styles. Daily average is 55mpg. This morning's drive to work (4 miles) gave 73mpg, lunchtime drive (8 miles) 67mpg. Falkirk-Glasgow or Edinburgh gives 54mpg at moment.
Drive uphill back home from work gives 45mpg.

:racer:

I filled up this morning and it was showing 195 miles, 16.8 on the DIS at the moment.

I have done 411miles mostly in town + 3 40mile drives and i have 90 miles left on the display.

My 3.0V6 will get me about 380miles on a full tank of 99octane with my mix of urban and m-way blasting :undwech:

I did think it might be a bit better than that to be honest - I hear that a re-map might get me about 10% improvement if I'm lucky.

It is better than my old S2 though, I was getting 320miles off a tank of that, boy could that burn the fuel (those flames on the overrun didn't help!):rock:

3.0 tdi quattro getting 33 mpg local your car sounds a bit heavy on fuel or its your right foot aldo286

motorway runs I can just about get 30mpg. Normal driving around town and country lane blats anything between 10 and 25mpg. Usually around 300 out of a tank.

Used to have a 1.9TDi (130) - and would get anything between 450 and 700 out of the tank depending on the type of driving.

Why did I swap to the 1.8T (190)?!!!

Oh yes - more fun!!!!

^^ I have a 1.8T cab it does never does any more than 29 mpg..

dstech said:
I'm lucky to get 300 miles with my 3.0L V6 petrol. :(
When it's flat highway driving I can get 350 miles out of one tank. :(

What fuel do you put in it? I regularly use 99Octane: in theory higher octance should improve economy vs. lower octane petrols.

I do a round trip 50 miles a day, and get a daily average between 22 and 24Mpg - this is across about 12 miles of M-way, 8 of a roads, 5 B-roads each way. Also depends on the flow of traffic, and pressure of right foot!

This is from a standard 4.2 V8 S4 though(!)

Anyone in the states - please could you remember that your gallon of gas costs around (3.85 Litres) £3.42 or $6.50...! So when it boils down to it, the impact of 30Mpg in the US is not nearly as bad as over in Blighty!

dan_b said:
What fuel do you put in it? I regularly use 99Octane: in theory higher octance should improve economy vs. lower octane petrols.

Mine runs so much better on 99 octane and I get much better MPG
I have just managed now to squeeze 300 miles out of tank..which I don't think is that bad

I range between 160 miles - 300 miles a Tank depending on how I drive her

Anything from 4.7 MPG - 27.9 MPG

I ran my 2.5tdi allroad on BP ulti Diesel and that went better I got 32's out of that sometimes.. ave was 28 really to behonest

I find sticking a bottle of injector cleaner in every so often helps.

My old A4 2.0 SE returned an average of 41.69 miles per gallon / 9.83 pence per mile over 27,000 miles between December 05 and December 06
My new A4 2.5 TDI is so far giving me 48.18 miles per gallon / 8.51 pence per mile over 3,500 miles to date.

But then, I'm a very boring driver!

nivagh said:
My old A4 2.0 SE returned an average of 41.69 miles per gallon / 9.83 pence per mile over 27,000 miles between December 05 and December 06
My new A4 2.5 TDI is so far giving me 48.18 miles per gallon / 8.51 pence per mile over 3,500 miles to date.

But then, I'm a very boring driver!

Our 1.9 130 can't equal either of those figures :crying:

720 miles is my record in the wifes 130 TDi. Average over 70+ hours of driving 47mpg

dan_b said:

We can only get 94 octane here in the states. I use Shell V-power 93 ocatane and at best I can get 24-25mpg on the highway. The car really does best if I drive 65mph, but the highways here are 70mph speed limit, and of course we actually drive about 80-90mph. :)

@Dan - 94 octane - that's not much of a bang is it - our regular unleaded in the UK is 95, we can get "Super Unleaded" which is 97 (used to be 98, which is what it still is on the continent, and is the equivalent of our old 4-star leaded rating), but a lot of garages have rolled out 99 Octane unleaded in the last 18months or so. Not quite the 103 Octane of the good old 5-star, but there you go!

The difference in power between 97 and 99 octane can significant - some turbocharged cars see as much as 20bhp gains. Well worth it.

On my 1.9TDi I get average 52 mpg combined. On motorway trips I can get towards 60mpg. Once I made 70 mpg but I was really going for it!! Worst has been 42mpg over a long trip!!! But that was fun!!! Usually get 580 - 620 a tank.

I tended to find that the difference between the DIS and my own calculation (litres at pump * 4.54609) was about 2 mpg
Though quite why we obsess over mpg when pumps are in litres I don't know!

jr001 said:
Mine's is 1.9TDI 100, +25?? tuning box. I'm getting 650 - 700 on a full tank with a variety of driving styles. Daily average is 55mpg. This morning's drive to work (4 miles) gave 73mpg, lunchtime drive (8 miles) 67mpg. Falkirk-Glasgow or Edinburgh gives 54mpg at moment.
Drive uphill back home from work gives 45mpg.

:racer:

That is your tuning box throwing the DIS out mate, they make the dis over read.
If you are getting 650-700 miles out of a tank, which is 70 litres that is only 42mpg.
OK, lets say 700 miles and that you leave 3 litres in reserve, so you use 67 litres over 700 miles that is only 46mpg still.

gizze said:
I filled up this morning and it was showing 195 miles, 16.8 on the DIS at the moment.

how many miles do you usually get from a tank mate?

Well I filled up today at around 3pm, I have done 48 miles and it is showing 135miles left at the moment, so unless I have a bit of a run I would expect around 180 out of this tank as it will all be short, sub 10 mile journeys.

This thing likes its juice!!

On a run, taing it easy it can get 250 miles, but normal driving without thinking about consumption is around 200 I would guess.

not too bad, i manage to average 300 from my s-line quattro so 30% aint too bad

dan_b said:
@Dan - 94 octane - that's not much of a bang is it - our regular unleaded in the UK is 95, we can get "Super Unleaded" which is 97 (used to be 98, which is what it still is on the continent, and is the equivalent of our old 4-star leaded rating), but a lot of garages have rolled out 99 Octane unleaded in the last 18months or so. Not quite the 103 Octane of the good old 5-star, but there you go!

The difference in power between 97 and 99 octane can significant - some turbocharged cars see as much as 20bhp gains. Well worth it.

Race gas (100 octane) can be purchased at some local stations and I think it costs twice as much as our premium unleaded fuel. It's inconvenient because it can be completely sold out at anytime and closest station is about 15 miles from my home. The other inconvenience is that you can't pump it directly into your car, you have to pump it into a container. :(

At the moment with hardly any motorway miles i'm getting between 300 ish & 330 from my remapped 1.8T quattro cabriolet, currently running on 95 but will be tanking it with 98 / 99 in a few days.

Does this mpg sound about right?