A4 TDI HEAVY ON FUEL???

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
What are the most common causes for a tdi to be heavy on fuel? ithink that my b6 2001 tdi (awx engine) is using more than it should.

New fuel filter,new airfilter,pollenfilter,oil and filter change,

The only thing i've noticed recently is that when starting (wheather engine hot or cold) it will start as soon as the key is turned (which is fine)
But now and again,(getting more frequent now) when starting it takes a good 3-4 seconds to start,its getting worse now and im worrie sooner or later it may never start!:faint:

What milage is in it?? also when you say heavy? what milage are you pulling off an average tank?? urban and Motorway??

AY UP MATE,WELL MY FUEL GAUGE DONT WORK! BUT I CONNECTED ANOTHER CLUSTER TO THE CAR LAST NIGHT AND IT SHOWED HALF A TANK,AFTER THAT I DROVE 5 MILES MAX! AND THIS MORNING DECIDED TO CONNECT THE CLUSTER UP TO CHECK FUEL,AND IT WAS ON A QUARTER OF A TANK! AT THE MOMENT MY NEW CLUSTER NEEDS RE-CODING TO THE CAR,SO UNTIL THATS DONE THATS HOW I CHECK MY FUEL,USUALLY DO THIS EVERY 2-3 WEEKS BUT LAST NITE IT JUST GOT ME SUSPICIOUS,AS IT STARTS LATE NOW AND AGAIN I DECIDED TO KEEP AN EYE ON THE FUEL.

i reckon you sort the cluster problem out before looking into this problem further...

i know it "should" not make a differance with the fuel guage but i would sort one problem out at a time and take it from there... as i was going to down the route of diainosing the fuel issue but as the reading is from another cluster it could be any thing...

i cant see you using approx 15 lites of fuel for 5 miles unless it pouring out.. i would safely say its impossible... as it would work out as 20 miles per tank..

Cheers

RickT

Agree with RickT and with cluster fixed will give better indication of fuel consumption to mileage instead of guessing

I think it also depends on your driving at this time of the year, my consumption has droped from 40mpg to low 30's as all i do is drive <2 miles to work then home (twice a day) my range goes down about 20miles for those 8. It does sound like you need to get the cluster set up correctly then fill up drive 100 miles fill up again and see what MPG you have done.

any car drinks more fuel on short a journey... however.... 3 gallon for 5 miles.. the cluster is wrong.... thats 1.7 MPG -- LOL!! you get better out of a dragster!!!

Cheers

RickT

VW-754 - I have the same year car as yourself. I get 600 miles per tank. Average MPG for mostly urban and some motorway driving is 52 - 56 mpg.

With regards to starting, I've never had that problem taking so long!