BRAKE DISCS?

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
How easy is it to change brake disc's front and rear? is it straight forward?

b6 tdi

Front ones are very easy but i think you need a special tool to move the rear piston.

Its not too difficult as long as you have the tool.Cheaper to buy it and do them yourself than pay someone else to do it.

no special tool is required to "move" the pison (if by move you mean removing)... you just need a tool to "SCREW" back the piston when you insert new pads...

One the front you just push the piston rod back in when some heavy duty grips and then on the rear insert the tool on the pistion contact pad and screw them back until they stop..

Then pull on the handbrake until you feel it bites and stop... this auto adjusts the rear pads.

The tool for example is this..
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732

Im sure if you search ebay you will pick one up cheap.

Cheers

RickT

Just re-read the post and i see you meant move as in screw back to oringal postion .... anyway.. the info is there now.

Cheers

RickT

see the link above i posted..

Cheers

RickT

You can make one using an old socket ,you just have to cut socket with a hacksaw leaving two peg's that fit the piston.Then use a ratchet and extension to screw the piston back.

when your pushing back the pistions be sure and open the cap on the resevoir bottle ,or you could flip the seals inside and end up needing a new master cylinder seen this before.People tend to top up the resevoir as the pads wear as this drops the level, but when the day comes to put in new pads and you push back the pistons you end up with too much fluid so take off the cap and push the pistons back slowly. Also i use a g-clamp for front brakes and a vise grips and patience for the rears..:blackrs4: .