What Tyres?

VennyQuattro

Reaction score
Mine uses 235/45/17s, and is due for some replacements soon.
Just wondering what other forum members use on their rims, and would therefore recommend?

Are Avon ZZ3's any good, they seem very reasonable?

My only stipulation would be 'rim protection' as this really does help save the alloys from kerbing.

:kissmyrings:

Just had a set of Good Year Excellence 235/45R17 fitted. Overall cost was about £100 per wheel. Could have got them cheaper but had already order them. These have rim protectors.

Lots of members will say Good Year F1 GSD3. They were cheaper but personally I think they're too extreme for an A4 and they probably don't last very long.

No idea as it's the first set I've fitted. They should last longer than the F1s.

Our car came with Conti SportContact 2s and they lasted 21.5K which seems to be pretty good for a FWD diesel. I would have fitted another set of those but they would have been around £120 per wheel.

That's what is currently on mine, but like you say expensive, especially as 'apparently' the Quatrro's eat tyres faster? don't know if that's true for 'normal' driving.

what about a set of Dunlop SP9000, same sort of tread pattern as the Goodyear F1's.

I had a set when I had my 'Star' design 17's, lasted about 18 months on the front and 24 months on the rear and on a Quattro too, I was well impressed.

VennyQuattro said:
That's what is currently on mine, but like you say expensive, especially as 'apparently' the Quatrro's eat tyres faster? don't know if that's true for 'normal' driving.

I was led to believe that tyre life was better on the Quattros due to the power being spread to all wheels.

I guess rears would wear out quicker but fronts slower so maybe it all balances out. Plus you always need to replace them in full sets as Quattro doesn't like big differences in tread depth.

I think our fronts would have lasted only about 13-14K if I hadn't rotated the tyres as they were down to 4-5mm after 8k while the rears were still at 7mm. All tyres were under 3mm at 21.5K

1210tech said:
what about a set of Dunlop SP9000, same sort of tread pattern as the Goodyear F1's.

I had a set when I had my 'Star' design 17's, lasted about 18 months on the front and 24 months on the rear and on a Quattro too, I was well impressed.

How many miles?

Macduff said:
How many miles?

flippin heck, now your askin....er.....i would hazard a guess at between 16 to 19k over the 2 years. i have always found that, although its quattro, the front go before the rear, i can't be ***** with all that swapping 'em from front to back though!

1210tech said:
flippin heck, now your askin....er.....i would hazard a guess at between 16 to 19k over the 2 years. i have always found that, although its quattro, the front go before the rear, i can't be ***** with all that swapping 'em from front to back though!

I guess that's because the fronts still have to do the steering and Quattro still has a front bias. You've also got the V6 which is a heavy lump. Perhaps a 1.9Q would be easier on the fronts

I get approx 25k miles out of the contis sport contacts 2 and mine is a 1.9TDI Quattro Sport and now on my third set(4)

25K is pretty good going, and what I'd hope for as most of mileage is motorway cruising, will price up the SPs, Good Years & Conti's with my local tyre man, thanks.

i have ZZ3's on my S4, one of mine had a manufacturing defect which i received a credit for, apart from that they're good tyres with adequate rim protection, original depth was 7.5mm, after 10k miles ALL (fronts and rears) are 5.0mm so i would challange the fact that fronts wear faster than rears. on that basis i would expect to replace them in about 12-14k miles

I felt the conti's tram lined badly on the family 1.9 FWD which gave it a pretty wayward feel. I changed them to F1's on the front which don't tram line like the contis, but I'm not convinced they suit the car fully.

F1's actually have a pretty hard compound and they are lasting very well on my S3 (well into the 20k mark now and driven hard), but they take a while to warm up and in this wet and cold weather they can be a bit hairy at times.

To reiterate an earlier comment, you must replace all 4 on the quattro system at the same time or the diff will get ****** (expensive).

Tyre choice never seems simple and I suggest it's because it's a car+tyre choice and even then dependent on model - ie. an SE and Sport model might suit different tyres.

I had Avon's once upon a time a long time ago on my Golf VR6 and I couldn't wait to get shot of them - however that's an old model tyre and a long time ago...

SimonP said:
I felt the conti's tram lined badly on the family 1.9 FWD which gave it a pretty wayward feel. I changed them to F1's on the front which don't tram line like the contis, but I'm not convinced they suit the car fully.

I'd agree with that. Not very nice at times. So far, the GY Excellences seem to be OK in that respect.

SimonP said:
F1's actually have a pretty hard compound and they are lasting very well on my S3 (well into the 20k mark now and driven hard)

That's probably down to it being Quattro and the petrol power delivery being easier on tyres

Do ALL the tyres on a quattro have to match? Or can you have matching tyres on each axle only?
I have an unrepairable puncture:( in one of my Rossos, will it be ok to put 2 new rossos on the front(or back) only, or do I need 4 new tyres?:sadlike:

Replace them in pairs and you'll be fine.
Remember the fronts do most of the breaking, quattro or not, so will always wear quicker.
Dunlops last really well, basically because they provide absolutely no grip.

Having had several 4wd cars, I would always advise that the tyres be the same on both axles, this is to do with differing levels of grip offered by different tyres, fit mismatched tyres at your own risk.

Just remember that the tyres are your only contact with the road, and therefore you safety depends upon them, don't skimp on your safety.

I went for 4x Dunlop SP 9000's in the end, mainly because I didn't have time to mess about and it was what a local tyre dealer had 4 of in stock.
About £97 per corner fitted, they seem fine, guess it just depends on how long they last, time will tell.

As a matter of interest I fitted Michelin Pilot Primacys on my last car, they lasted a long old time, but they were'nt too hot in the wet, a very expensive tyre though, about £150 per corner for 17/235s

got 4 no pirelli p zero rossos 235x40x18x95y fitted saturday for £499.80 at kwik fit aberdeen no one could beat their price

"guess it just depends on how long they last, time will tell."
They'll last forever as they're Tefal coated, nice choice for wheelspinning wildly in any gear..

I replaced mine a couple of months ago on my 03 A4 1.8TQ after i had a blow out on the motorway. Sidewall on my rear Michelin gave in.

I replaced them with Yokohama AVS ES100 which are a soft compound but so far have been pretty good in the wet and in the dry. I put them on the front.

And moved my slightly worn Nexen N3000 to the back. These were on the front of the car when i got it. Being a name i've never heard of i figured they would be cheap and nasty but are pretty good! Not as nice as the Yoko's but still nice!

VennyQuattro said:
I went for 4x Dunlop SP 9000's in the end, mainly because I didn't have time to mess about and it was what a local tyre dealer had 4 of in stock.
About £97 per corner fitted, they seem fine, guess it just depends on how long they last, time will tell.

As a matter of interest I fitted Michelin Pilot Primacys on my last car, they lasted a long old time, but they were'nt too hot in the wet, a very expensive tyre though, about £150 per corner for 17/235s

I wouldn'trecommend the SP9000's. I have had trouble wit uneven tyre wear on my A4 TDI (sounds like a wheel bearing but is not). This is the second set of four with the same problem. Looking to change in the next week or so...

Well they seem ok so far, maybe a bit more road noise than the Conti's.
No wild wheel spinning (it is a quattro)!
They handle ok, better than my old Celica with Primacy's on, I don't drive like a loon so I don't need F1 tyre performance!

I've never changed all 4 tyres at the same time on my quattro, had no issues in 8 years & 120k miles. Sounds like an urban myth to me (or tyre fitters dream). Maybe that's where they get all those part worn tyres from.

AndyMac said:
I've never changed all 4 tyres at the same time on my quattro, had no issues in 8 years & 120k miles. Sounds like an urban myth to me (or tyre fitters dream). Maybe that's where they get all those part worn tyres from.

Andy,

Many moons ago I foolishly bought an ex-fleet A4 B5 2.8 quattro, I ended up shelling out for a rebuild of the differential, it had been ****** from running with different tyres and tread depths all round (that's fleet management for you, only allowed to change the tyre when it's illegal or the driver is dead).

I don't recall what Audi state the tolerance is in difference between tread depth front to rear, but it's probably enough to run new and half-worn, but not new and bald. Too great a difference and the diff runs hot, which as we found, can be expensive long term, perhaps only if the diff oil changes are skimped on.

Anyway, if I dwell too much thinking about that old piece of junk (definitely the worst car I've ever been stupid enough to buy - one of those brain-out days) I'll undo all those therapy sessions ;-).

That's my point when on earth are you going to replace 2 tyres and leave the other 2 bald?
If they need replacing or are even approaching it I'd get them all changed, but to replace all 4 tyres with 10k miles left on them just because you pick up a unrepairable puncture is just ludicrous.
Maybe you were unlucky, but I've been doing this for 120k miles with no problems. Obviously Audi will always state the "safest" option otherwise they could be sued if someone takes it to the very limit (2 bald tyres, 2 new ones). Audi suggest brake lights can only be changed at a dealer for fucksake! so pinch of salt needed as usual.

Andy101 said:
I wouldn'trecommend the SP9000's. I have had trouble wit uneven tyre wear on my A4 TDI (sounds like a wheel bearing but is not). This is the second set of four with the same problem. Looking to change in the next week or so...

I have replaced fronts separately in between, backs lasting just about twice the mileage. Decided to run with Pirelli P Zero Rosso's this time.

Which Pirellis have the red writing on, kinda think they look cool, only seen the on a couple of Porsches though?

Quattro doesn't like asymmetrical tyre patterns, different tread patterns on any tyres and doesn't handle a difference in tread depth of more than 3mm with good grace.

Running two and two shouldn’t make that much of a difference to be honest, but the above is the official line.

Currently looking to replace all of my tyres with Goodyear F1s or Toyo Proxes. The Toyos have a marginally better rating on mytyres.co.uk, but you can’t fault the F1’s reputation in the wet. Both have symmetrical tread patterns. Rumour is that the Toyos last longer too.

Hope that helps.

My preference would be to get either GoodYear F1 GS-D3, or if you can still find them, Toyo T1-S, which would be cheaper but are a very very good tyre. The T1-S has been superceeded by the T1-R which apparently isn't as sticky as the S, but I've never used them so don't quote me on that.