door handle

lgatland

Reaction score
I have just changed my A4 Avant 1.9TDi (130) for an A4 Avant 1.8T (190) Quattro. All very good, except the driver door handle (outside) is loose!

It is just the body colour trim is slightly loose and rattles when you shut the door (and i think you can hear it when driving along). I have looked and there doesn't appear to be any screws etc holding it in place.

Has anyone removed/refitted these and hence would know (hopefully) how to re-secure it. I dont want to drive all the way back to the Audi garage for something so trivial (the garage is about 70 miles away - so not a conenient place to get too!)

I had the same thing. Lift the handle high, and there is a pin (which will be loose) push it in tight with a screw driver.

have a quick look you will work it out!

cheers - i did have a look on Sunday - but couldn't see anything.

Whereabouts on the underside of handle is it?

Just had another look - cannot see any holes etc underneath the handle.

The metal colour coded face plate seems to locate on two plastic "lugs", but there doesn't seem to be any holes/pins that can be pushed back into place.

pull the handle fullt out and push a screwdriver or similar in from the front of the car, should push something back into place and stop the rattle... hopefully

Thanks for the reminder! My handles been loose for a while.

Here's what the manual says :

A4_handle.gif

To remove, pull handle -1- up and pull lock -3- out longitudinally using a small screwdriver.
- Disengage upper side of trim panel -2- and pull downward and out of door handle.
- Installation is revese of removal.

Since the handle is fixed to the door it's hard to get a long thin screwdriver in the gap. What I just did was put a bit of tape around a thin bit of metal (in my case a radio removal key) to protect the paint and then put it in the gap (looking down when you pull the handle out) and push the silver metal slider towards the lock.

Job done in 2mins.

I managed to have a look at the weekend - there is a hole which the screw driver fits in (on the opposite end of the handle from the keyhole), but it doesn't appear to connect with anything when you pop the screwdriver into it! Unfortunately I have to wait until the weekends to look at it!

what should I be "feeling" from within the hole?