AH FabricationsChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

Question Tuning & Tyre widths

Firstly - has anyone heard of RICA engineering software. Seems very popular with Volvo, Ford and Mazda, but they also do all the VAG cars and many others.

Secondly - can you change tyres for a slightly wider width and if so by how much so as not too have an adverse affect? Still using the same rims.
    Ex-Audi owner. Misses has A4 Cab but me no drive it!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    There is usually scope for a small width increase, the standard tyre sizes on my 2,5TDiQ are 235/45/17s and the pervious owner has fitted 245s and they seem fine.

Neutral

Status
    im using 235/40/19s on my 2.5q sport nice side wall and plenty of comfort compared to the usuall 235/35/19 no rubbing or arching only thing is with the 40 profile in this size no one makes them except bridgestone and this size potenza (re050a) isnt cheap 265 euro plus the vat 21% ouch

1st Gear

Status
    There is a trade off between width and handling. There was a very good article in Audi driver re the effect of oversized widths and rims. Some people are actually sacrificing handling and performance for sheer looks! Crazy in my opinion. The wider you go the better lateral grip will be but aqauplaining will become more of an issue.
    2001 - Silver A4 1.9TDi Sport

Neutral

Status
    Bear in mind that if you increase the profile, you are increasing the running diameter of the wheel which will have an effect on the speedo calibration.

General rule of thumb:

16" = 50 profile
    17" = 45 profile
    18" = 40 profile
    19" = 35 profile

to keep ~ the overall same running diameter

Controversial & Contradictive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VennyQuattro
    Bear in mind that if you increase the profile, you are increasing the running diameter of the wheel which will have an effect on the speedo calibration.

General rule of thumb:

16" = 50 profile
    17" = 45 profile
    18" = 40 profile
    19" = 35 profile

to keep ~ the overall same running diameter
    Umm, I'd be careful with a generalisation like that.

a 165/55/16 will not have the same rolling diameter as a 235/55/16 even though the sidewall profile is the same (number wise at least ie 55) The profile number refers to a percentage (50%, 45%, 35%) of the width (195, 205, 235) which is in millimeters.

Hope that makes sense?
    53 A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport 180 Tiptronic. Heated Buffalino leather, DVD Sat Nav RNS-E, TV, Bluetooth, 6 cd, BOSE, Colour DIS, Cruise Control, Auto lights and mirrors, Interior light pack, Heated mirrors.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    You might find this link helpful. Lots of information here.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

1st Gear

Status
    I would have though a 16" wheel would have a 55 profile tyre rather than a 50 if fitted to an A4.
    My Fleet:
    B7 Audi A4 3.0 TDi 233 S-line Quattro
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDi 110 Quattro
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDi 110 SE
    B3 Audi 80 2.0 8v Sport