tips

chris_20

Reaction score
hey guys, only just got my A4 yesterday and just wondering if theres any little hidden tricks which the manual doesnt tell u about. for example i learnt before that if i keep hold of the lock button on the key fob it closes the window. my car is a 1.9 tdi 100 02plate.
maybe thats a silly question but thought id ask anyway.

cheers:icon_thumright:

I take it you know holding it open, opens the windows.

I think it's in the manual but you can do this with a key in the lock as well.

If you're near someone with Vag-com (or want to pay a dealer) then you can also have a beep when arming the alarm, have the drivers door unlock with one touch and passengers with the 2nd touch) and you can also have the doors auto lock when you exceed 15kmph.

Don't forget the centre sun visor above the rear view mirror. Takes most people years to find that baby.

cheers andy, i like the sound of the doors auto locking. how would i go about getting that done would i need to go to a dealer?

AndyMac said:
Don't forget the centre sun visor above the rear view mirror. Takes most people years to find that baby.

Ha ha! I had know idea that was there. I thank you Sir! :w00t:

Which stereo does it have

if its the symphony one you can program it with a time, say, an hour before you normally leave to go to work - even though you're not in the car it will 'record' any traffic news from that time - and as soon as you get in the car you press the button and it plays it back it you - its in the stereo manual how to do it, but lotsa people dont know it

and have you found the buttons in the drivers door 'pocket' - for disabling the alarm when you go on a ferry, etc

If your last car was a beemer, you might be interested to know that the stalk on the left, when you move it, starts some lights flashing to let other drivers know which way you will be turning. wacky idea, but hey

actually - if you just 'tap' the indicator stalk rather than move it til it clicks, it does just three flashes then stops automaticlly - good when changing lane etc

oh and a big one. IGNORE what the manual says - you CAN change the headlight bulbs yourself. dont pay the dealer prices. and if one goes, buy two replacements - the other wont be far behind.

i knew about shutting the windows with the fob, i never knew you could open them though. This is a good thread, hope more tricks are revealed as i dnt have a manual for it.

Wow guys just reading all this tips make me wonder,All i just do is get in the car and drive not knowing anything about it.Keep them coming guys.2002 Audi a4 T sport:readit:

How about the funky parking light? Leave one of the indicators on when turning off the ignition and the side- and tail-lights on that side stay on for parking on unlit roads.

If it's Quattro don't try and wheelspin. It won't. Ever. :redface:

Oh, there is the old trick that if you're too far away for the fob to work, hold it to your head. :thumbsup:

AndyMac said:
Took me 4 weeks to find this badboy! :arco:

You can also set the computer to remind you your speeding i.e. set it at 70mph every time you go over it by 10mph, a sign comes up on the dash (page 39 in manual). You can also extend the seat cushion on both the frt seats. Just feel down between your legs and pull towards the steering wheel ;)

If you get VAG COM you can program the Alarm to Beep when you lock your car. Also I changed mine to Auto-Lock when I go over 10mph.

If you just unlock the boot, to say put some shopping in, and close it without then opening other doors it will lock itself and arm the alarm. Good if you just need quick access to the boot.....not so good if when you remember you put your keys in the boot when you put the shopping in.....

This really true about the boot thing.locking your keys in the boot will be really bad and since i was giving only one key when i bought the car.i have to be careful.

sniperlover said:
i was giving only one key when i bought the car.i have to be careful.

Yeah I was only given 1 key and the missus drives the car more than me! Sounds like a trip to the Steelers to me :sly: and sharpish

Bascule said:
If your last car was a beemer, you might be interested to know that the stalk on the left, when you move it, starts some lights flashing to let other drivers know which way you will be turning. wacky idea, but hey

Quality :)

If you have independent climate control you can set them to work together by holding the auto button for three seconds you can then control the temp for both sides from one set of controls (the master side is the one you held the auto button on).

Not so much Audi specific but is this your first turbo car? If so remember you need to let the turbo spool down after you've given it some beans. :racer:

Turbos have an RPM of anywhere between 30K and 100K when engaged. Needless to say they need a few minutes to spool down with the ignition on to keep the oil circulating or you're going to A) Cook the oil and B) Possibly damage the unit.

Play nice with the turbo.

Sorry if that's teaching you to suck eggs. You'd be surprised to learn this is news to a lot of people.

Talking about that,i was thinking that the turbo's in audi a4 are low pressure turbos so it wouldn't go anytime soon.i remember i had a Toyota mr2 Turbo which had a turbo timer on it to cool down the turbo,which mean leaving the engine idle for 5 to 10 minutes.Do i need to do the same for my audi a4 if i go for long journeys.

As a rulle I always let her either run down with the engine only engaged below 2K or let her idle for 5 before turning off. Only exceptions are petrol stations when it's not always possible.

Also if you accidently unlock the car with the keyfob while walking away from it, it will relock itself after 30-60 seconds (as long as you haven't opened a door).

There is a second position on the bootlock (saloon, not sure about estate) that sets it to only open with the fob and not with the central locking.

How about :

If you turn the radio on with out the key in the ignition, it will work for one hour.

If you leave the boot or a door open for longer than 10 mins, the light will go out to save the battery.

If you take your keys out the ignition the electric windows will still work for about 5 mins unless you open a door.

Each key fob tells the car which user you are and restores the radio and aircon settings to how you last had it.

Nice one scotty! Only thing with the last point you made is that Ive only one key at the moment:lmfao:

scoTTy said:
How about :

Each key fob tells the car which user you are and restores the radio and aircon settings to how you last had it.

Am impressed, didn't know that one... Cheers :rock: