2.5 TDi Quattro

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
Hi,

Amongst other cars I've just started looking at the 2.5 TDi A4, what are the pro's and con's of this car ? The one I have seen is the Auto Quattro 2.5 180ps a few questions are ...

What real world MPG can be expected ?
Is it a belt or timing chain and whens it due for change and how much
Is the Auto box any good ?

What else goes wrong and is there anything I need to look for ?

Thanks
Steve

Real World MPG is about 30-32 mpg. I get about 29 on my commute into work(Manchester), and I get about 35 on a nice run up to the lake district.

It's a timing belt, and needs changing at 80k miles.

I have the 5spd auto tip box, and I find it excellent. Perfect for my drive into work(stop start traffic), and the "manual" tip function lets me decide on the gears for spirited twisty roads.

One drawback is the lack of power below about 1700 rpm. I find it sluggish from a standing start until the revs climb above 1700, and then there is a kick in the back as the torque launches you forward, but I've gotten used to it. I beleive that a remap goes a fair way to smoothing the power delivery, and I might go for it one day, but it's bearable once you're used to it.

Thanks, I was looking at Audis site and it lists the urban as 22mpg, if that was the case i'd go for a Focus ST3. 30 mpg isn't bad for the engine or Automatic. Power delivery wouldn't be an issue either, my Golf is chipped and there is no reason why the replacement wouldn't be. I've seen one car, full leather 55k in a "rare" blue colour 16k.... I'm tempted to have a look.