Navigation on the new S4

ELotz101

Reaction score
Hello all, I live in the midwest United States. I recently saw many car reviews of the new 2004 S4 with a in dash center mounted LCD navigation (I think it is called Navigation plus) but i was just informed by my dealer that Audi is not releasing that to the united states, but instead they are releasing a previous gen. style navigation between the tach and speedo. Does anyone know which is actually coming over to the US? Does anyone have any pictures to see how it works?

I have a new S4 Avant without sat nav. Why do you need it? Is it not a waste of £$.

I had a Merc SL500 earlier this year for a few months and hardly used the standard fit sat nav. When I ordered my CLK500 cab to replace it I did'nt spec sat nav (an extra) and hav'nt missed it or the £1890 bill I avoided for it - I bought bigger wheels and rear side airbags instead.

Is sat nav worth paying extra for? How often do you go to places you don't know unless you are a travelling salesman?

Apologies for the rant and enjoy the new S4 if you get one - its great!

I have Audi sat nav on my A4 Cab.

3 distinct design problems:

You cannot set destination by Postcode (That'll be Zip Code where you are...)

There is no "avoid" function - a button you can press which will re-route you for an optional distance say 1,5, or 10 miles. One of sat nav's unexploited potential benefits is avoiding motorway jams when in unfamiliar territory.

You cannot build a multi-stop route with a combination of quickest and shortest routes - its one or other. Imagine if you want to get somewhere by motorway and then exploit some great cross country driving roads. (not that an Audi would be very good at that as they have lousy handling)

All in all the only useful bit on the Sat Nav is for the wife where she now knows she can always get home. (its her car you see) I'm not sure that thats even a good thing.....

On the Satellite Navigagtion System Plus that is fitted on European models you can enter Postcode and Multi Stop routes so you must have the entry level Navigation using the DIS.

I think it very much depends on where/how you drive.

I'm not a salesman, but I do end up driving quite a bit - visiting my friends around the UK, going out for day-trips etc.

I don't have the Navigation Plus, but I have bought an aftermarket Navigation product - a Navman ICN630 - which works a treat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would prefer to have the Navigation Plus in my next car though, as it's integrated into the dash and the electronics and looks nice and stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On what grounds do people say it's a waste of money? Is it based on usage or features?

The Nav system that we get in the USA is not worth the money because of the lack of features. You can get an aftermarket full featured full screen nav system for about the same price.

If we were able to get Nav+ in the USA, then I would probably think about getting it. The non-Nav+ system is not worth it to me.