Volks AutosEM Tuning
    2nd Gear

Status

Glove box - cool box

hi all

Is it easy to retro-fit the bits to change the glovebox into the cool box? Has anyone done this to there A4?

Thanks
    Last edited by samuelt; 20th October 2006 at 20:57.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Its extremely easy, I've done it on my B7 and it definately comes in handy on long journies :D

Can be bought here; http://www.audi-accessories.co.uk/in...od&productId=4
    2008 VW Golf R32 3dr

DBP :: RNS510 :: Winter Pack :: Retrofit Cruise :: OEM LED Tail Lights :: R-line badges ::

1st Gear

Status
    I've done it without buying the box itself. I'm sure the box helps keep it a little cooler and catches moisture, but if you want to go the route I went, then here's the writeup I did:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int48.shtml

Keep in mind this was for a LHD USA SPEC car. I'm not sure if RHD cars have different parts but I'm sure there is some difference in part numbers.
    -Dan from Detroit

2002 A4 3.0 Tip/Quattro/Sport/Premium
    Quattro GmbH front and lower door flares | Powerchip ECU Chip
    Borla Cat-back exhaust | Hyperflow Intake | B7 RS4 Dead Pedal with RS6 Gas/Brake Pedal
    Bi-Xenon Headlamps | S4 Sideview Mirrors | Phatnoise in Glovebox

2nd Gear

Status
    thanks guys two great responses on how i could do this. I think i will go with dstech's sudgestions and great instructions. I only plan to use the cool box on my 2 weeks holiday in France as last year was a disater of melted chocolate and warm cola. So the full install would probably rob me of to much of the glove box for the other 50 weeks. Anyone got the UK part numbers??

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelt
    Anyone got the UK part numbers??
    Air Hose 8E2 816 311
    Outlet 8E0 820 701 4PK

And for those of you that want to fit the cool box as well that's 8E2 862 807 A 6PS

But we warned that if you fit the cool box as well you have to replace the light fitting in the glovebox because the cool box obscures the original one. You have to cut a rectangular hole in the side of the glovebox and fit this light fitting 8E0 947 415. I did mine in about 10 minutes with a Dremel-type mini disc cutter and a file. Scary in a 2 day old RS4!

5th Gear

Status
    yep sounds a good mod although I thought you couldnt turn it off and also not fitting the 'cool box' part causes moisture and nasty mildew to grow??
    Porsche 997 Carrera 4 S - Black, Sport Chrono, Sport seats, PCM, Nav, Tel, Park assist and rear wiper (Yes!, its an option!)
    2012 Audi Q7 Sline Plus - Daytona Grey ,Nav+, Wheel upgrade, Storage and tow pack.

Gone -2007 S5 4.2 ,2008 S3, 2007 TTC 3.2, 2007 RS4 Saloon, 2004 S4 Saloon, 2006 A4 2.0T Sline SE,2002 A3 3.2 Sline, 2001 A4 1.8T,2001 Boxster, 1983 911SC,1992 Corrado G60,1988 GTi.

(Vag com owner)

1st Gear

Status
    You can turn it off because the hose outlet has a manual valve. As for as moisture goes just be smart and put a rag or towels around your cold drink if you put it in the glovebox. The insert really isn't that much more expensive but since I don't use mine that much I don't see the value in buying it.
    -Dan from Detroit

2002 A4 3.0 Tip/Quattro/Sport/Premium
    Quattro GmbH front and lower door flares | Powerchip ECU Chip
    Borla Cat-back exhaust | Hyperflow Intake | B7 RS4 Dead Pedal with RS6 Gas/Brake Pedal
    Bi-Xenon Headlamps | S4 Sideview Mirrors | Phatnoise in Glovebox

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status
    Hey do they have the for the S3?
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson_Wilbury
    Its extremely easy, I've done it on my B7 and it definately comes in handy on long journies :D

Can be bought here; http://www.audi-accessories.co.uk/in...od&productId=4
    I have my ipod and Alpine Ipod cable in the glove box. Would fitting the box above affect electonic equipment such that?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Block 405
    I have my ipod and Alpine Ipod cable in the glove box. Would fitting the box above affect electonic equipment such that?
    Very good point. I have the multichanger in there too.

Any suggestions to keep the moisture levels down without the coolbox.

My BM is fixed!

Status
    There won't be any moisture induced from the A/C unit, it actually drys the air before pumping it into the cabin.

The VW Passat has a cool glovebox, but has the same lining as the standard Audi one. Its not as cool as you'd think, only as cold as the air from your vents would be.

Its unlikely that mould would grow unless you are one dirty git that never cleans your car!
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

6th Gear

Status
    Mould growth has been found on quite a few cars that this has been done on. If you're gonna do it then I'd recommend getting the new inner.
    MY2010 B8 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI quattro S-line Executive
    Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    Gone : B6 S4 (AMD stage 3), TT (APR), Golf GTi, CBR600F