Xenons are plug and play!

AkoyaMike

Reaction score
Just to let eveyone know, as a follow up to my own question. I successfully transplanted 2004 S4 Xenons onto a 2004 S-Line car without. It really is just a case of "Plug and Play".

did you manage to fit the washer jets? i thot xenons needed better uprated wiring too?

Wiring is an urban myth, and no...dont need washer jets. I wash my car weekly and it never gets dirty enough to worry about dazzling other road users.

Im waiting now for the usual monkey to come along and argue the legality of my set up! "You must have washer jets if you.....BLAH!"

AkoyaMike said:
Im waiting now for the usual monkey to come along and argue the legality of my set up! "You must have washer jets if you.....BLAH!"

LOL-Well you do!

Good job it's just plug and play though, did you have to remove all the front bumper @ all?

AkoyaMike said:
Just to let eveyone know, as a follow up to my own question. I successfully transplanted 2004 S4 Xenons onto a 2004 S-Line car without. It really is just a case of "Plug and Play".
what can i say I TOLD YOU SO ha ha does your roller on the dash for setting the height work now mine doesn;t?

Sorry for sounding like a dumb *** here but can someone please explain what these xenon lights are all about. I have an 2004 tdi avant Q. What are the difference between the halohen front lights and these xenon lights and what do they cost and does the cost justify the quality of the headlights?

its true Xenons require wash and leveling to be "legal"

Block 405 said:
Sorry for sounding like a dumb *** here but can someone please explain what these xenon lights are all about. I have an 2004 tdi avant Q. What are the difference between the halohen front lights and these xenon lights and what do they cost and does the cost justify the quality of the headlights?

http://www.mvlc.info/pdf/MVLCbrochure.pdf

what sort of cost are you looking for for front light conversions and washers then?

I am sure we have done this before.............As I have managed to find out after trawling through many sites on this subject, If you buy the car new, then washers and auto-levelling are a legal requirement. However, there is no law that states that if the xenons are fitted as an after-market accessory, they must also have these. Therefore, certainly as it stands at present, if you retro-fit them, you are legal and the car will also pass an mot without these.

That is the current state of play as far as I can discover, and most of the web-sites which sell after market Xenon kits will be able to quote the law I am sure.

Shadowman said:
I am sure we have done this before.............As I have managed to find out after trawling through many sites on this subject, If you buy the car new, then washers and auto-levelling are a legal requirement. However, there is no law that states that if the xenons are fitted as an after-market accessory, they must also have these. Therefore, certainly as it stands at present, if you retro-fit them, you are legal and the car will also pass an mot without these.
That can't be right! How will the police or an MoT inspector know that you've retrofitted the Xenon lights???

One further point on this: don't confuse Xenon-filled bulbs with OEM gas-discharge Xenon lighting - they are different. The latter requires levelling and washers, but the former is a cheaper upgrade which probably isn't breaking the law.

how to spot if they're after market? simple: they won't have washers or self-leveling!

and you will fail an MOT with them, asked today. VOSA are getting strict on it.

I have Bi-Xenons from a 2005 S4 on my car. The only problems you will run into when putting Bi-xenons into a car with Halogens is that the passenger side wiring harness is too short. Halogen headlamps have the connectors on the outside edge of the housing whereas Bi-Xenons have them near the middle of the housing. That extra 3-4 inches causes a problem. I bought an extension cable form a local tuner shop in the States. If anyone needs one I can dig up the source. It wasn't cheap at about $60 for the adaptor cable.

BTW, Autoleveling is a feature only to be used when starting the car up. It levels the headlamps for the extra weight you may have in the car. If you drive mostly by yourself or with one other person then you really don't need auto leveling. It's not a Dynamic feature that works while driving. It only levels immediately after turning the car on and that's it.

Hmmm....looks like things have moved on a bit since I last looked a few months ago. Reading that response on the Tyresmoke thread though, If you buy complete Xenon units as an accessory which are therefore marked as EU approved, you have headlamp levelling ( via the switch inside the car ) and carry a packet of wet wipes to clean the lenses when they get dirty, then does that mean that you are legal ???

need to be automatic leveling, so that if you're going up a hill you don't blind people, and "must be kept clean" and "Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning" which would both indicate an automated washing system

Seriously guys....dont worry about the headlamp wash or self levelling. Its being blown out of proportion! Trust me...the Police DO NOT go around looking for xenon conversions, 99% wouldnt even know that rule (Dont argue that point, trust me). As for MOT stations, again...your local friendly MOT station will NOT be failing your car for it! Ive done OEM xenon conversions on my Golf GTI, Octavia VRS and now on my A4 S-Line. Not once have my MOT centre even questioned them! If it really is going to be a problem, as some of you claim.....keep your old halogen lights for MOT's!

Ive watched my Xenons carefully over the last few nights....they have not once dazzled other people (ive watched to see if the beem strays into the cabin of other drivers, even going up hills!!!), and ive not been flashed to dim them. My car is cleaned weekly as a minimum and NEVER has more than a fine layer of road dirt on it....im too car proud to have it caked in mud. Therefore headlamp wash is not an issue. I like the handy wipe idea mentioned above, even smarter!

Please, for the sake of the people out there that you are putting off of doing this mod.....stop drumming the same information at them!!! Providing the people that do this are responsible enough to keep them clean, and to get them aligned properly in the first place....you will not have a problem.

99% of the POLICE and MOT stations will not have a problem with this mod! CONVERT YOUR CARS TO OEM XENONS TODAY!

Just to clarify some points.

Do they cause any problems with the audi "blown bulb" monitoring system?
Do they "really" just plug and play? No extra wiring or drilling?
Which kit did youget, Audi OEM or Hella or A.N. other after market kit?

Thanks
John

AkoyaMike said:
Providing the people that do this are responsible enough to keep them clean, and to get them aligned properly in the first place....you will not have a problem.

99% of the POLICE and MOT stations will not have a problem with this mod! CONVERT YOUR CARS TO OEM XENONS TODAY!

How can you responsibly break the law?

BaBs said:
how to spot if they're after market? simple: they won't have washers or self-leveling!

and you will fail an MOT with them, asked today. VOSA are getting strict on it.

how can you fail a MOT on non testable items???

i've fitted a after market kit to my car and i do have headlamp washers, how are you going to check for self-leveling? get some fat gits to sit in the back and jump up and down to see if the lamps adjust on there own i don't think so

headlights are tested to make sure they're working as they should be.

"as they should be" includes washers and self-leveling with Xenon lights

peteA3tdi said:
how can you fail a MOT on non testable items???

i've fitted a after market kit to my car and i do have headlamp washers, how are you going to check for self-leveling? get some fat gits to sit in the back and jump up and down to see if the lamps adjust on there own i don't think so

Spot on Pete....there is no test for self levelling!!!

Geees......it really doesnt matter about self levelling or headlamp wash, lighten up people!!!

and for those who wanted to know....when I say "plug and play" I mean it.....no extra wiring or extra anything. Xenons came off of a written off S4...which also meant they have the lovely dark lens surrounds rather than the chrome!

OFFICIAL : XENONS ARE PLUG AND PLAY!

Items tested: 2004 B6 S4 Xenons to 2004 B6 1.8T S-Line with standard headlights.

Will post pics in a few days!

As above i couldnt agree more ,once the lights have been checked for allignment when fitted, by any garage,that has the machine for checking this usually jst a box on wheels drive the car up switch on lights and it will show you if they are too high,low or too much on the ditch or in the drivers side of the road.Once this is correct then the lights are legal and i should know as my car has done a test at the dealer and audi says its perfect!!!! Also told me the headlamp washers are just to be a nice finishing touch to distinguish more expensive models from others.As for dirty lights regardless of them being xennons or usual halogen all lights get dirty some ppl have washers a minority in my opinion so why does it matter when did anyone get pulled over and told to wash their car or headlamps seriously.so if you can get lights like i did do it mine is an 02 2.5tdi v6 quattro and the lights came from a 1.9 130 bhp 2003 model which looked like a bannana after a poll incident ha ha.One problem only i have with them is my roller, for changing the height of the lamps eg the roller 1 to 3 on the dash does not work but im told its a simple fix jst cut a wire on the ballast and wire it direct to the loom will post when i can shed more LIGHT on the subject......:yes:

Sorry to repeat myself but no one seemed to answer my questions.

Thanks
John

G4JSG said:
Sorry to repeat myself but no one seemed to answer my questions.

Thanks
John
Ok to answer your questions again. 1 As above says and as the thread is called xennons really are just plug and play.2 As for which ones i have in my car again as above (i got mine from a 1.9 tdi 130 bhp a4) as said in my last post.3 i cant see any problem with my car on its diagnostic using vag com nor on the car display. so to sum up just get them and try it out im blue in the face from telling the facts so ill say no more on the subject (rant over):motz:

Just a quick update.

I went into my local car spares shop yesterday and purchased a DIY HID 6000k upgrade kit. The kit is type approved and the shop know I only buy and use good parts. It took me about 25 mins to fit, have to remove headlamp units, and then around an hour to make small adjustments to the bulb housing so I get the right amount of light in the right place.

The job is now done. I went out last night for a drive and was amazed at the extra light. I was checking for how much light was being emitted onto the oncoming drivers cars and faces and was happy to see the projector lense was still keeping all the light on the road and I wasn't dazzling anyone.

£220 for the kit and job done in under 2 hours in all and I'm now a very happy bunny.:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

only problem is the sidelight looks puup and yellow against the hid's and if you change it to an led all it does is flash continually

So G4 surely the kit that hids4u r selling is a pretty good deal he even says go 4 the 6000k version. I have 2 say i havent properly looked at the site so mayb there is extra's u have 2 buy?

It says in my manual that they are constantly levelling themselves, on accceleration and during braking....?

(I paid the extra to have them fitted when I ordered the car from Audi, and won't buy a car without them again)

They only level under SEVERE changes in ride height, for example going up a steep hill or having 3 mates in the back and a caravan in tow! Unless your car bonnet rises like a beast under acceleration, the system will not automatically level, the change is not severe enough and even if it did, the effect wouldnt last long enough to make an appropriate adjustment.