New Tyres

john2garden

Gonad
Reaction score
Hi guys, after a few weeks of shopping around I managed to get a set of 4 f1's for £328 from www.mytyres.co.uk and am getting them fitted on tuesday. My RE050's are nearly to to wear indicator on the front and the Contis on the back aren't the best anyway.

Im also getting a 4 wheel alignment done too.

I will report back with my findings since it seems to be quite a hot topic.

John

What did you think of the RE050s? What sort of mileage etc. Also, is your car FWD or Quattro?

I'll soon be needing new tyres and have always liked Bridgestones but I'm concerned about longevity. Conti SC2 are now at 19k with around 3mm left. I'll be changing them before they get to 2.5mm especially since winter is just around the corner.

TIA
Dave

Reo50's have lasted about 8k but to be fair I have ran them too low on pressure since I had them fitted last May. But my car is a FWD TDI and it has been chipped so not many tyres would not wheelspin in the wet in 2nd. I had them on my 147 2.0 before and I cannot fault them. They are a softer compound but then again so are all Jap tyres I suppose you either have to sacrifice all round grip for actual long lastingness (if thats a proper word).

I looked at Toyos Proxes T1-R and a few lads on here said they were really good but Ive heard from a few people that they are soft and therefore don't last a long time. I think what it boils down to is you get either someone who wants amazing grip but know their tyres will not last very long or someone who is willing to compromise for the not so phenomenal grip and go for a tyre that will last a bit longer.

As for the Contis I had them on a 206 gti and they were crap. And that was not a rocket ship. :sos: Say no more.

john2garden said:
Reo50's have lasted about 8k

Scary! Mine's a Standard TDI 130 Sport so I guess I might see 12k from a set. No good really.

john2garden said:
They are a softer compound but then again so are all Jap tyres I suppose you either have to sacrifice all round grip for actual long lastingness (if thats a proper word).

I used to run RE720s on our Bora V5. Granted it didn't have the torque of the TDI but I got 30k from the first set and sold the car with the second set. I was very impressed but unfortunately I don't think they do them in a 235/45 fitting

john2garden said:
As for the Contis I had them on a 206 gti and they were crap. And that was not a rocket ship. :sos: Say no more.

Can't really complain about them too much. I'll probably switch to the ubiquitous F1s as they're working out a bit cheaper

Thanks for your comments

Dave

Got Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's 235/40/18 on the front as I found the original Pirreli P Zero Rossos to be pretty poor, am much happier with the Goodyears. I have just ordered 2 for the back from www.mytyres.co.uk and got them for 104.80 each which is really good, sent to my local fitting centre who will charge £17 to fit and balance both total price £226.60 still much cheaper than everywhere else next nearest price was £280 from local independant or £290 from Blackcircles including 5% discount.

Should get the tyres next week. :)

Well I got mine fitted last Tuesday for £10.50 each at a local tyre fitter. So this has worked out at £372.00 for four which I thought was really good. I did not bother with the 4 wheel alignment because he said I would notice a difference becasue all 4 wheels would be balanced and have new tyres on. And fair enough it has, it actually drives in a straight line now.

The ride feels a lot better and as for grip well I have not used it all week and will keep you informed as to how I get on.

John

I also have F1 GSD3's on my car, the previous Dunlop SP3030 lasted for about 32k my car is now on 54k and the F1's aren't showing hardly any wear at all.