Intermittant fault, engine won't crank

KennyBradley

Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday morning my car (2002 A4 TDI130) refused to start. Ignition turned on and all electrics worked but starter wouldn't turn. there wasn't even a click. Tried several times that morning but same problem.

Went back to it later on and it started fine and has been perfect ever since. No fault codes on VAGCOM.

I was suspecting the immobiliser but someone said if the imobiliser is activated the car will start but stop after a couple of seconds?

Anyone had this problem before or have any ideas what the problem is?

I can't trust the car until I find out what is going on.

Cheers Kenny.

mawhitey said:
Ignition switch? Common fault on the b5 A4

second that...but i think his is a B6
man or Auto??

if auto any faults in the gearbox control unit??

Try giving the key a bit of an extra turn. I know the key will turn the full 180 but turn it hard and do it fast. Try it a few times if necessary. I had the exact same thing on my 1.9TDi 130 a few months back and this worked for me.

Thanks for all the reply guys.

I tried working the key several times with no sucess.

Audi failed to start again on Saturday. Had a look underneath and found a bad connection on the solenoid. The wire coming from the ignition switch to the solenoid is a spade connection. The spade on the solenoid is MILD STEEL??? and was badly rusted. I'm pretty sure this was my problem. Can't undertand why audi would make an electrical connection from mild steel?

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers Kenny