Concert stereo - speakers working intermittently

DodgeT

Reaction score
Hello there, first post here.
Ive had my A4 avant tdi sport now for about 3 months, loving it, apart from the problem im getting with the stereo / speakers.
Its mainly the passenger side front speaker, which keeps going on & off.
I am about to strip the door card off to check the wiring - but I suspect it may be something else, as some of the other speakers occasionally crackle & go on / off. I have removed the head unit to check if anything is loose there, but it all looks ok.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Yes, it seems to be a common problem. I get the same on drivers speaker. Even though it's all aftermarket I took a short cut and used the original front door speaker cable. Typical, after eliminating all the crap quality hifi components Audi put in, the only 2 wires left of the original system intermittantly fail!
I doubt it's the connections on the speaker, as mine has upgraded speakers and still does it. If you are removing the door panel remember to buy some spare clips for the refit as they will break off.
I suspect it is the brown front speaker harness at the HU. I seem to remember it wiggles around a bit as half the pins are missing (for the rears) so may just need a zip ties round it. Mine only does it at low volume, turn it up a bit and its fine, so it must be a real hairline disconnect, and more power jumps the gap. I keep meaning to rewire it, no doubt I;ll get round to it.

Cheers for the reply, ive noticed that it only really does it when below say 12 volume, anything after that (loud) & its fine.
Also, when i checked the HU, it did appear that the connector blocks dont seem to fit/hold too well into the rear of the HU. I did wiggle these with the stereo on, but did not seem to affect anything. Will try & secure them though just in case.

I remember seeing a TSB on this on another forum.
The problem was linked to the connector plug between the door and the car body seems to be mainly passenger side (UK) the TSB suggested too much grease had been used in the plug & it needed cleaning out.

Wiggle the wire coming from the door quite hard.

Also the wire pins at back of the tweeter have been known to come in contact with the door frame.

I cured my problem with the door connector plug (did not see too much grease but after reseating the problem went away)

timps is correct. there is a TSB on this....in fact there are two TSB's.
First one reads (USA):
TSB: 910513
Audio System - Door Speakers Intermittently Inoperative

Group: 91

Number: 05-13

Date: Sept. 8, 2005
Subject:
Door Speakers, Intermittently Inoperative

Model(s):

See Table 2002 > 2004

Condition

Sound from door speakers in one door intermittently stops operating.

This condition may occur while driving (especially on rough road) or in cold weather when opening/closing the doors.

This condition may be corrected by increasing radio volume.

May be caused by intermittent electrical contact of door speaker wiring harness terminals due to grease in electrical connector at A-Pillar

- Disconnect door electrical connector. Clean door connector using one of the following methods.

- Wipe away grease with towel.

- Remove grease using suitable solvent

- Blow out connector with air pressure.

- Connect door connector and assure proper wiring and harness end connection.

If cleaning door electrical connector does not correct condition:
- Contact Audi Dealer Technician Helpline.

The second one reads:
TSB: 910420
Audio System - Speakers Momentarily Stop Working

Group: 91

Number: 0~20

Date: Oct. 1, 2004
Subject:
Speakers Momentarily Stop Working

Model(s):

A4 (Avant / Sedan) 2002 --> 2005
S4 (Avant / Sedan) 2004 --> 2005

Condition

All speakers cut out suddenly at the same time. After about 20-30 seconds playback returns gradually with rising volume. Shortly afterwards condition occurs again.

Condition usually occurs at high outside temperature, long operation, high bass music and high sound volume.

Condition may be due to center mid/high range speaker -R158- overloading, causing activation of amplifiers temperature protection.

Service
- Unplug center mid/high range speaker -R158-.

- Operate radio for 5-10 minutes at very high volume (20 or more in radio display) with high bass music.

^ If speakers do not cut out:

- Replace center mid/high range speaker -R158- (Part No. 8E0 035 411E).

Sounds like I need to try the de-grease method.

Daft question time....... Where is the door connector located? Is it in the door, ie behind the door card, or is it in the car, ie behind the trim in the footwell?
This will save me taking the whole car apart to find it!

Cheers.

My A4 has been into the dealers today to get the intermittent driver's door speaker fixed (under warranty). They replaced the part of the wiring harness where the speaker wires go through to the door and all's OK.

I had the same problem on mine too but the door locked itself aswell.The fault on mine was the wires coming from the connector to the passenger door.Peel back the rubber and check for broken or damaged wires.

Spent the afternoon cleaning the grease out of all 4 of the connections, speakers work perfect now & it sounds a whole lot better than before.
Cheers for the help guys!

Any tips on how to get the rubber plug back into the door?

cs_horn said:
Any tips on how to get the rubber plug back into the door?

which bit exactly do you mean?

The rubber boot between the chassis & door just pushes into the chassis. It has a couple of small clips. Never pulled it out of the door side.

Oh dear - a bit late :(.
I didn't know which side needed to come out, so I pulled them both and now can't get the door one back in.
There is a pastic plug sitting in the hole and the rubber bung needs to tuck behind this and into the hole - and I can't get it in.

rickc said:
My A4 has been into the dealers today to get the intermittent driver's door speaker fixed (under warranty). They replaced the part of the wiring harness where the speaker wires go through to the door and all's OK.

I have a crackle on my drivers side rear door speaker, it sounds bad when someone is talking, it really winds me up when I listening to the footy commentary. I wasn't sure that it would be covered by the warranty, did you have problems getting it done & were you having other stuff done too?

I feel a bit daft taking it in just for the speaker.

The only other thing I had done was a replacement rear passenger side seat belt due to it not retracting fully (leaving about 5" slack) when not in use. The dealer I used didn't question anything, just did the work.

Take it in, I'd say.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm having the same speaker problems. I've had a look at the connector (door to body) and can't see how to remove the rubber boot?