Removing door panel

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Has anyone removed their driver's door panel?
I have tried but cannot find all the fixings, I don't want to force anything but I do want to get the panel off. So far I have found the srews behind the plastic insert trim the runs along the top of the panel just above the door release handle, the two screws behind the little cover when the door closure handle is and 1 big screw right in the middle of the panel at its lower extremity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Those are all the screws.
You then have to prise the panel off as it's held on quite well with plastic pop fixings. But be aware that these are designed to break on removal to prevent damage to the panel so it's wise to nip down to your dealer and buy a handful before removing the panel, the should have them on the shelf and they're about 15p each.
Avantdoorskin.jpg

Avantdoorcard.jpg

Blimey that was quick, you've done that before!!

In case you were wondering, i'm replacing the red LED in the top of the door with an ultra bright white LED, I can hardly see if my car is locked at night with that red one...

you can see the 3 big black "washers" on the right are the fixings that have broken off, there's another along the bottom which came out in one piece. Start at the bottom and work your way up. Wind the window down first as the top of the panel clips over the top of the door.

So this speaker is actually mounted in the door and no on the card like the A3?
If so what size speakers do they take? This coiuld be good cause the A3 was a ******..

Finally Audi realise that you can't get decent sound by mounting the speaker to a flimsy door card.
Yes the speakers mount directly to the door, so you actually get some decent bass out of them. The speakers are 6.5", with 1" tweeters.
Of course you can't just mount the speaker to the door, you need to make a rather large spacer ring to give you the depth. The OEM speakers have a 40mm standoff moulded to them, although the Bose speakers can be unscrewed from the adapter, so you can screw pretty much any 6.5" components straight in.
For non Bose just cut out 2 18mm MDF rings, glue/screw them together, then use the OEM speaker to mark a template on some 6mm MDF in order to create the mounting flange on the back. Glue and screw this to the 36mm ring then use some Dynamat to even out the contours in the door and screw the whole thing to the door using the original screws.
B6BoseDoorspeaker.jpg

I have the BOSE in mine and i find that is excellent, if a little expensive.

Thanks Andy that is wicked. i think i will start to take pics of different stages and how to get around problems cause they are priceless. By the way you know u r tha man...