Help me Decide on Picking an A4

Which Should I Get?

• Total voters

Haroulli

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm moving to america on Saturday and i have been looking at getting a B6 A4 1.8T (US Spec 170bhp) with the Sports Package But i'm having a difficult connumdrum in overcoming what i should get in the way of transmission and Quattro. Just to note the fiancee doesn't really know how to drive a manual very well but is willing to learn and thinks its "fun" so i figured the tiptronic would give us the best of both worlds.

I would really like to get a Quattro as i feel if i'm shelling out some $ for an Audi it seems silly not to go for the option that they are so famous for - The Quattro. Plus the roads in South Carolina dont have the greatest drainage and seeing as its practically monsoon season i thought it would be a great saftey feature as i see lots of cars aquaplaining.

This is where it gets a little more complexed:
I would love to get a tiptronic with the thumb contorls. As i've driven a relatives of mine new Carrera4S that tiptronic and it was really fun to drive, very easy to get used to etc.

But is it going kill the power and is it gonna be another clunky crappy Auto? Is the manual going to be a better ride, more fun in the long run and quicker etc?

Now if only Audi could mate the CVT box to the Quattro system i'd be laughing. I've also been for a ride in a CVT B6 and it was unbelievably smooth and responsive.

Opinions please, will the tiptronic novelty wear off quickly?

p.s. i've also had a read of this good explaination of the boxes Audi have to offer! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=24430&highlight=tiptronic

Guys it seems like people are voting which is good but if you can id appriciate a quick reasoning to your choice :)

go for the Manual one, Tiptronic never worked with me

I voted quattro manual, gives you more control over your gears

Manual Quattro, I feel you get more excitement & as olly_K said control with manuals

Manual Quattro

BUT remember two things

1. it may be harder to sell since the US loves autos
2. You can aquaplane just as well in a Quattro as you can in a FWD/RWD car

Macduff said:
Manual Quattro

BUT remember two things

1. it may be harder to sell since the US loves autos
2. You can aquaplane just as well in a Quattro as you can in a FWD/RWD car

Cheers Macduff i'm pretty much aware of both those as the last time i was there i had a Mazda Miata (MX-5) Auto and i made a $1000 on it and found it pretty easy to sell as the guy who bought it bought it for his misses who as per usual doesn't drive a manual.

And Aquaplaning is just one of those things that can happen to any car. Just need some good tyres and the ability not to freak out lol.

I guess its an excuss to have the Quattro!

Tiptronic, Quattro will be the best, if u don't really love driving in the city in rush hour

Wouldn't it be easier if you test drove each of them when you got there & decided which one you like the best?