Is This A MAF Problem?

mrp

Reaction score
My 2002 1.9 tdi 130 sport has had what I can only describe as a "flat spot or hesitation" when accelerating up through the gears. When you lift off the accelerator to change gear and then gently push down on the accelerator there is very little throttle response and as you keep pushing you suddenly get a big surge of acceleration. This has only happened about 5 times in the last 6 months, the symptoms appear to gradually ease towards the end of the journey (may dissappear within 5 -10 mins or last the whole journey and switching the engine off and on again does not clear the problem) but are gone the next day and may not appear for a couple of months. Has happened first thing in the morning and when going home from work. The car has 70k now and the dealer diagnostics didn't show any faults (apart from an engine mount error) when I had a new key coded 3 months ago. Can hear the turbo spinning up when the car is running fine and when this problem appears. Any advice greatly received.

thanks

mrp

Can anyone advise???

Would be interested to know too. 2001 1.9 tdi 130 SE 60k.

I get the above rarely, just wondered if it could be early signs of a MAF problem myself.

sounds unlikely to be a MAF, they aren't usually intermittent like that. It could be a sticky throttle position sensor.

If you can, the next time it happens try to get vag-com logs of engine blocks 10 and 11, and somewhere else in the engine is requested throttle, these will give good indications as to what's going on.

Thanks cathalferris for the info. Problem is the hesitation only happens now and again so even if i had vag-com (which I unfortunately don't) it still might be hard to pin down. If the accelerator pot was playing up would it not have shown up at the dealer as a fault code though or is it like the maf and would only register if the fault passed a certain thesh hold? The dealer said an engine mount and the convenience control module were showing faults.

mrp