2004 Audi A4 1.8T Sport

markpetty

Reaction score
I picked up my new A4 1.8T Sport on Wednesday and I thought I'd share my buying experience. The spec is 1.8T (190PS), Sport pack, Dolphin grey metallic, Ally interior trim, Centre armrest. The car was in stock in Dover, but I had only wanted a sport with metallic with no other options so with a bit of haggling the dealer threw in the ally interior and centre armrest for free. In all I paid £21540 for the car.

I started looking for the car at www.broadspeed.co.uk, you just go to the site and put in the car you want and your details and then wait for the audi dealers in your area to start phoning, you don't pay broadspeed anything or speak to anyone there. All they do is put you in contact with a dealer and you buy the car from them. Obviously the dealer pays them a small commission but it sure takes the hassle out of phoning round.

The best dealer was White's Audi in Camberley, and they were absolutely brilliant, really fast and efficient. So I recommend anyone wanting a new Audi to try them.

As for the car, the bodykitted car looks different to the promotional pics that Audi have released, in the flesh it's a lot lower looking and less tail heavy. It generally looks very nice, retaining the classy audi look but adding a bit of spice. The engine is really smooth but has a bizarre power delivery, you don't seem to gain much by thrashing it (although I've only booted it briefly a couple of times cause it's still running in) but it's got a wave of torque which seems to just waft you along. It's a lot quicker than it feels since you don't really feel like you're accelerating fast but then you see the needle's showing a much higher speed than you thought and is still going up. Parked next to my housemate's Accord Type R it's a few inches lower and a smidgen longer and in my opinion looks a lot better. There aren't many toys on it, with the only notable highlights being dual zone climate, hugely adjustable seats and ESP. I found the steering rack really quick since I've just come from a 4x4, it corners really flatly and just keeps gripping. I do find the steering a bit uncommunicative and falsely waited but I always know what the car's doing so it's not an issue really. The sport suspension's ride quality is absolutely superb over most surfaces although obviously not as good on big bumps as softies like a Vectra or Citroen C5.

glad you like your car,i only got mine the previos wed but unlike you mine's second hand 2000 but ive been driving a mazda van and my wifes toyota rav4 and like yourself i find that theres not a lot of communication from the front but it is rock steady.and as for the speed i have been using the speed warning beeps because every time i get on the A2/M2 i look down and im around the ton, but nice car

Using the warning beeps is a good idea. I also forgot to mention that I managed to get 12 months fully comp from elephant.com for about 820 quid, which isn't bad for a 23 year old with 1 years no claims bonus.

One slightly odd question I have though is what setting should I put the headlight dipper switch on so as not to blind people? I know it seems a silly question but on an unlit road I can't see very far ahead unless it's on 0 or maybe 1, but I hate getting blinded by other people's lights so I don't want to do the same.

can't help you with your questions, but congradulations on the car... that is (i think) the exact car I will be picking up within the next month... could you post some pics?!?

much appreciated... have fun.

[ QUOTE ]
I know it seems a silly question but on an unlit road I can't see very far ahead unless it's on 0 or maybe 1, but I hate getting blinded by other people's lights so I don't want to do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I`m pretty sure the headlight switch should be on 0 without a heavy load in the boot. It`ll say in your handbook, if you suspect the alignment, get your dealer to check them out.

Markoose,

Congrats on the car, I bet you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif everytime you look at the car and think that's mine.

The steering is a problem with Audi's I have found in general, having driven the A4 and owning an A3, but my 318ti isn't any better either!

Love the A4's, especially in Avant guise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

I was originally going to get the same car but when I whent into the dealership they had an ABT kitted A4 in black. It has 18" alloys with 235/40 series P zeros. These really do inspire confidence in the corners. The body kit is different to the Gmbh version - it looks just a bit meaner and lower.It's got the same trim but the downside was the price, with the wheels, bodykit and bose it was just over 28k - but it is a one off. I

Has anybody else seen one around ?

Cheers

Steve

Interested to note your comment.

I too have ordered the new A4 Avant with the sports pack and I cant find a picture of it anywhere either. I ordered a brochure direct from the Audi website and after a month they sent me another copy of the old one. great!!
So we both have cars on order that potentialy dont seem to exist.
Mine's due late november so hope to see something before then.

Hi,

Update.... There are now more details of the new GmbH Sportpack for the A4 on the front page of www.audi.co.uk

Unfortunately there are still no Avant pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif from the side or rear, i'm assuming the front is the same, if so it's a bit RS6ish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi

I have looked at the new picture on the Audi website!, just the one. Better than nothing but not a lot is it.

Mine is down as week 45 build, so hoping for a late November delivery.

Interstingly a guy from Audi UK phoned me up last night to see if I had received my brochure. Yes I said I have received another copy of the one I already have. Was I happy with it he asked. No I said, its go no pictures of the car I have ordered. He did'nt have an answer and I am none the wiser.
Keep your eyes out for new pictures and I will do the same,

Now you've had the sport a while how are you finding it? What sort of consumption are you getting, i'm coming from a chipped Bora 150 tdi, i know consumption should'nt matter but its in the back of you mind.
I get my A4 sport in two weeks, counting the hours. 1.8T 190, with leather, bose, parking sensors, mettalic (silver), armrest, heated seats, ali trim in and out. Did'nt really want all these extras but it was a uk stock car so better than waiting longer.

Sounds like i'm in for a treat, my diesel Bora handles like a brick on sponges, when parked there is a 4" gap between the top of the tyre to the wheel arch, which makes the body roll during cornering very untidy.
Have you got any idea of what mpg you are returning?
Only 11 days to go!!

sorry about the delay, I haven't got a photo yet but will post one soon.

Steve.

Hello everyone!

For those worried about the looks of the A4 Avant Sport - don't! I took delivery of my 1.8T 190 on Saturday (dolphin grey). I too hadn't seen a photo of the Avant Sport but ordered one anyway. I couldn't believe how good it looked when I saw it. A lot of people have stared at the car (or maybe they were staring at me?). Stunning car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Hi Mik!

Welcome to the boards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any chance of a pic pleeeeeese /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mine gets built next week

Jon.

Hi Jon,

I was at an Audi dealer last Saturday and they had a new Audi A4 Avant Sport 1.9Tdi Quattro on the forecourt. It looks the dogs doodahs. I can confirm that backend has a roof spoiler and a black bit accross the back bumper. All in all I do not think we have anything to worry about.
My dealer says mine is on the boat at the moement and should be in next week, so hoping for delivery on the 21st Nov.
Yours shouldn't be far behind it.

Mine is built and on it's way also, pushing for a 22nd nov delivery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif in time for the xmas do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon.