B6 a4 xennon oem

tommyt2

Reaction score
hi everybody im new on this site im looking for help with my car changed the lights from halogen to xennon they plugged in fine and work fine, but i cant adjust the level manually from inside the car as before i know this isn;t the end of the world but i know that the mkiv golf when swapping to xennon needs some rewiring something about cutting a wire on the motor and ballast.as far as i know my car has a ten pin plug on both the light and the harness and there is 4 wires on to my motor so if any one can help id really appreciate it thanks:confused: oh by the way mine is a (2002) 2.5 tdi v6 quattro sport and the lights came out a(2002) 1.9 sport

Are you blinding other drivers if you cannot adjust the level?
They are auto levelling on Xenons aren't they?

Aldo said:
Are you blinding other drivers if you cannot adjust the level?
They are auto levelling on Xenons aren't they?
Well they would be blinding other drivers if i didnt adjust them, so i brought it to my local mot garage and we focused them using an allen key as you would wit any headlight ,so that they are well within the correct amounts.So yes they are auto levelling if i put them back in the car they came out of but now they are just fixed like normal headlights,but i want to be able to adjust them from inside the car like normal using the roller switch which has 3 settings.can you shed some light on the wiring that needs to be done?:)

Ahhh right, sorry unable to help on the wiring.

Be careful, road safety laws state that vehicles with xenon headlights have to have automatic dynamic range adjustment and automatic headlight washing systems.
If you don't have these and you get stopped you will end up with a prohibition notice which means you cannot drive your vehicle until the headlights are back as they are supposed to be.
Retro-fitting xenon headlights is irresponsible and dangerous, they are extremely bright and very high voltage, without the correct operating equipment in place they are a dangerous hazard.

you will only get a prohibition notice if its dark ie night time . if you are stoped day time you don't need lights so you can't get a notice. most feds don't know about lighting and will only check your tyres
fitting xenons to a A4 is responsible as the oem lights are crap and you can't see in the dark and you may crash or run someone over

tommyt2 said:
hi everybody im new on this site im looking for help with my car changed the lights from halogen to xennon they plugged in fine and work fine, but i cant adjust the level manually from inside the car as before i know this isn;t the end of the world but i know that the mkiv golf when swapping to xennon needs some rewiring something about cutting a wire on the motor and ballast.as far as i know my car has a ten pin plug on both the light and the harness and there is 4 wires on to my motor so if any one can help id really appreciate it thanks:confused: oh by the way mine is a (2002) 2.5 tdi v6 quattro sport and the lights came out a(2002) 1.9 sport

This is because there is no self leveling on OEM headlights, you would have been better off fitting a xenon upgrade kit, if you can find out the wiring diagram for a OEM headlight then you may be able to retro fit the manual level it will be a nightmare.

OEM headlights have auto leveling which takes into account things like gradiant of incline and decline etc

peteA3tdi said:
you will only get a prohibition notice if its dark ie night time . if you are stoped day time you don't need lights so you can't get a notice. most feds don't know about lighting and will only check your tyres
fitting xenons to a A4 is responsible as the oem lights are crap and you can't see in the dark and you may crash or run someone over

Afraid thats wrong old chap, you do need headlights if it becomes overcast and raining or in other bad weather during the day.
Thats like the same arguement of "i know i have bald tyres officer but i only go out when its dry"
Its not just the old bill who can give you a prohibition either, the VOSA staff can also do the same.
On a lighter note, i think of you can't see properly when driving at night with the standard headlights, maybe you should think about an opticians....

Hi all.
I have previously had a 6000k HID conversion in my mitsi legnum VR4.
Once level is adjusted i found them perfectly fine on the road. No one ever flashed me, and to be honest i think the way that signs and road markings light up at night with the HID lights is a big improvement to saftey.

I found this quote on a site that sells a HID conversion i am looking at getting for mine.

NOTES ON ROAD LEGALITY AND QUALITY OF OUR HID :

Both versions of our HID systems are DOT approved, MOT approved and fully E-compliant in all safety, E.M. emmission and performance specifications. As far as we are aware these are the only HID kits on the market that meet all these requirements.
This makes our kits ROAD LEGAL ; there is a lot of misinformation regarding the legality of HID systems fitted to cars without headlamp power wash and rear axle self levelling ...these are only an E.U. legal requirement on Xenon systems fitted to NEW cars AT THE FACTORY PRODUCTION STAGE .
HID systems fitted as aftermarket accessory DO NOT REQUIRE the car to have power wash or self levelling ; even the DOT get this wrong sometimes .... our expensive lawyers did not !

This may well be advertising jargon, but in the 2 years i ran with HID i never got stopped once.

A4Quattro said:
Afraid thats wrong old chap, you do need headlights if it becomes overcast and raining or in other bad weather during the day.
Thats like the same arguement of "i know i have bald tyres officer but i only go out when its dry"
Its not just the old bill who can give you a prohibition either, the VOSA staff can also do the same.
On a lighter note, i think of you can't see properly when driving at night with the standard headlights, maybe you should think about an opticians....

VOSA can not give a prohibition on hid/xenons as there not part of the mot. plus VOSA staff may do the checks but its the old bill that give the prohibition not VOSA staff (i've done road side checks):lick:

and do a search on A4 headlamps as you will find i am not the only one that thinks they are crap :readit: