3rd AVS - Mixed News

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Had the 3rd AVS done yesterday, at 57K. The service itself went mostly to plan, expect that somewhere on the journey, I must have picked up a slow puncture on the NSR tyre without realising it. When I collected the car, they'd swapped it for the spare (& charged me the labour for doing it). The punctured tyre is now the spare, and happens to be the most worn of the five. It's not worth repairing, but I don't want to be replacing singles at the moment. I'd like to get more use out of the existing set & then swap the lot for a deal on some 17inch 5-spoke "Star" replicas from Rochford Tyres. In the meantime, the wheel that is now on the NSR is badly scratched & scuffed, looks a right mess

The garage had told me it needed a new air filter, but it seems while Service Reception were telling me that, one of the technicians was busy fitting the only air filter they had in stock to someone else's car! Still, it can't be that hard to do, so I'll buy one & fit it myself when I get round to it.

Last bit of news was they told me the bushes on the rear anti-roll bar are perished & will need replacing before the next service. Can anyone give me a steer on how complex & how costly a job that is? I'm really tapped out just now, & money I'd normally be setting aside for the car is going on house stuff at the moment

Nice of them to charge you the labour for swapping a wheel!
Would they not be taken the wheels off anyway to inspect brakes etc?

they're not allowed to undertake any work without your permission. I would have refused to pay for that.

madvw said:
they're not allowed to undertake any work without your permission. I would have refused to pay for that.

They had authorisation, cos they rang & told me about the slow. I told 'em to switch it with the spare, but like Aldo said, I was expecting the wheels were off the car already, so it didn't register that they'd add it to the bill.

Anyone got any ideas re the anti-roll bar bushes?

Update. Dealer rang today to check if I was happy with everytihng. I told them I was a bit miffed that they charged me £35 for swapping the wheels over, & that I'd figured they were alreadt off the car, like Aldo said.

It turns out they don't remove the wheels to inspect the brakes, as they are visible with the wheels in place. But they agreed to deduct £35 off my next bill. As I probably will use them again, I'm happy with that.