TYRE SELECTION

stoakseya4

Reaction score
Hi
I need to change the front tyres on my 04 Avant 1.8T LE (same specs as S-Line). Just clocked up 27k miles on the factory fitted set - not too sad...

Anyone have any recommendations?

Think they're 234/45/Y17s.

Sport Maxx, Eagle F1 GSD3...?

Kwik Fit (!) are selling them for £110 a pop...

Cheers

I wouldn't recommend Kwik Fit no matter how cheap they are as they've always managed to damage my alloys.

Try to find a local fitter that you can trust is my recommendation. If you can't find one then buy the tyres online rather than pay KF prices as those are all available for around £20-30 less. KF fitting was about £8 a corner the last time I used them.

As for tyres I'm going to be replacing mine soon (18K maybe on a FWD TDI 130) and am not sure what to get. If that's the sort of mileage I can expect then I might just stick to the Continentals as otherwise they seem to be OK. I've been recommended Dunlops but not sure of the difference between SportMaxx, SP9000, SP9090 etc. F1 GSD3 seem to be very popular but I've not heard good things about wear rates.

Eagle F1 GSD3's got me out of trouble when aqua-planing at about 150mph yesterday, I can't rate these enough, but dont let Kwik Fit near your car. I have a Discount Tyres local to me and although they are full of young little oicks, I can mooch around and see what they're doing.

goodyear F1 gsd 3's just fitted to the front of mine this week.
replaced my worn f1's, which still held on well even in that rain.
Top tip though. When you phone up the tyre people ask them whats the best they can do it for !CASH!
Will normally knock a little off for that :) Pub money for them.

All the perelli's i have had have had shocking weas rates.
Had a set of Yoki A508 on my gallant VR4, these were very good.
Not tried out toyo proxies yet, but have heard lots of good things about them.
But as posted above the F1's are a great tyre so far for me.

Sorry chaps - had to get the tyres fitted in a hurry, so KF it was, and was pleasantly surprised.

£245 fitted, for 2 Sport MAXX's...

Cheers all the same

I'm glad you got them as I'm interested in some feedback on them. Please let us know in a few hundred miles.