Advice on taking the door panels off 2003 A4?

barker196

Reaction score
My 2003 A4 Saloon has a tatty arm rest on the drivers side door. The previous owner has made a mess of the plastic/rubbery bit of the armrest you pull to close the door. And whats more the electric window buttons have half peeled of. Audi priced the goods at about £40 however fitting is £90+VAT and it's an hours work. They said the door panel has to come off.

Has anyone taken the door panel off? Any advise please?

p.s Looked for a Haynes Manual today but found they don't do one :-(

The door panels are easy. Just prise of the trim piece below the tweeter above the handles. Start at the back working forward as it's hooked into the panel at the hinge end. This reveals 4 main screws, remove these

The door panels are easy on the B6. Prise off the trim piece below the tweeter above the handles. Start at the end away from the hinge and work forward as it is hooked under the door card at the hinge end.
This will reveal 4 screws, remove these, along with the other 2 visible screws shown below.
The panel is now only held on by plastic clips (quite a lot of them) which are designed to break off rather than pull out cleanly so you may want to order a handful before doing the job, they are 16p each from your dealer. Work your way around the panel prising it up from the bottom first and job done.
Avantdoorcard.jpg

Avantdoorskin.jpg

Top stuff Andymac. Thats very useful. Think i might risk it for a biscuit. How hard can it be?

Let you know how i get on. :)

Ok, i took my door card off last week and it worked fine. I got a bit confused over which end of the aluminium trim to start so slightly damaged the catch on the rear of it. Just to clarify, i should of started at the wider end (near the door hinges - front of car). Anyway no real harm done and i got the door card off. I had been into the stealer first and asked for a handfull of retaining clips however the chap only had one so i took that. It turned out to be wrong sort, i actually need the bigger black clips but he gave me the small white one. So i put my door cards back on with half of the clips missing however it has gone back on fine and no rattles to report. I changed my eleccy window switch and the plastic bit of the arm that surrounds it. Looks as good as new again.
Thanks Andy