Knocking sound on idle???

Platinum70

Reaction score
I have been under the car looking at my milltek exhaust as I heard a slight blowing noise. Sure enough I saw water trickling out of two of the joints in the centre section.

I then heard a very strange knocking/rattling sound - almost like the sports cat was making a noise. Then I thought could it be an engine mounting or something else. Really strange sound. Cannot hear it inside the car but it is more easily heard when bonnet is lifted or when you crouch down by the front drivers side wheel.

The problem with the blowing sound is that the clamps have rusted around the joints. When it was fitted two years ago there weren't stainless ones available. Thankfully the service at AMD/Milltek is as good as normal and it will be sorted under warranty.

Any advice on the knocking sound would be appreciated.

I have managed to trace the noise to the airbox. Its like a chattering sound which having taken the airbox apart it seems to be coming fromt the intake which leads to the turbo. I really cannot understand what it is. Audi have no idea either. They said it may be an airbox flap chattering but I can't see where this could be and they were so vague.

Any ideas?