LED Tail Lamps - From TMTuning.com

dstech

Reaction score
Website
www.audicrazy.com
I've been working on getting these to work without the "bulb out" warning in the DIS and finallly fixed it.

I also painted the housings to match the OEM look with the red stripe on the top and sides. In stock form these LED tail lamps are clear on top and only red on the lower portion.

Running_Lights.jpg

Summer_2.jpg

Here's what they looked like unpainted:

LEDDAY_5.jpg

Here's a side shot of my car in "Summer Mode"
Summer_3.jpg

I have S4 mirror housings but I decided to leave them off this year.

The car looks great DS. The lamps look almost OE too, it's a shame they don't do Avant ones............

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Nice job.

Is it just the night lights or have you done the indicators and brake bulbs as well?

I'm particularly interested in getting LED front side lights but when I tried it I got a flashing bulb and the DIS error.

Video Clip

DS I like those - even in standard form - they still dont look too chavvy..

I would be very tempted!

what did it take to sort the DIS error issue?

your car looks great.. what % are your tints? Im just starting thinking about those too, but yours may be a little dark for me..

have been browsing the tmtuning site - cant find the ones you have fitted..

am i going blind?!

Curry,
The tint on the sides is 35% and the back is 25%. The reason it looks dark is 1) The back is darker than the sides and 2) The dark interior doesn't reflect much light inside the car.

The bulb out error was fixed by putting a 100W Ceramic coated resistor in parallel with the ground and signal wires thus giving the signal wire less resistance. I have a detailed writeup with pictures I can post or email.

Email katja@tmtuning.com about the lights. From what I was told the lights are out of stock until about 8 weeks, thus the reason they probably pulled the lights from their site.

-Dan

scoTTy,
I painted only the top of the clear area with red translucent paint. Once I had a few coats on the lights I put a couple of coats of clear on top over the entire housing.

Your DIS issue can be fixed with the same method I used. Just put a high value resistor in parallel with the power and ground wires. Make sure to get a ceramic coated resistor that dissipates the heat better and won't get too hot.

[ QUOTE ]
Your DIS issue can be fixed with the same method I used. Just put a high value resistor in parallel with the power and ground wires. Make sure to get a ceramic coated resistor that dissipates the heat better and won't get too hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you just tap into the wires either side of the bulb holder? What sort of resister rating did you use?

I can smell the faint odour of success coming.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

Yep, that's it. You have to calculate it.
This is what I did:
Measured the resistance of the regular bulb in the holder, then measured it with the LED in the holder. Then use the formula below.

For instance:
Req = the measured resistance of the regular bulb.

R1 = the measured resistance of the LED
R2 = the resistor value you need to put in parellel.

Resistorsparallel.png

e1d6c77805c0245d311b04e4e2c8e9b3.png

The parallel resistor can be off a little because you most likely won't be able to find the exact value you need. I think as long as you get a bigger resistor you'll be fine. I actually needed a 150ohm resistor and I used a smaller 100ohm resistor and it worked, so you could get by with a smaller one.

If you solve for R2 you get
R2 = R1(Req)/(R1-Req)

Make sense?

Many thanks. I just starting solving it for R2 and then saw you'd done it. Many thanks. I'll have a play.

Dan, thank you -

Have written to them as you suggest, will keep you informed!

regards

Ben