drivers window/door 'creak'

• Thread starter imported_CurryMilkShake
  • Start date
I

imported_CurryMilkShake

seem to have developed an annoying creak.. not loud, just annoying

it 'appears' to be window related.. drivers door..

low speed, particularly over bumps, (and I live down a gravel track), theres a 'creak' by my head, very irrittating.. i have no other squeaks or rattles so I am noticing this..

cracking open the window just a tiny tiny bit (not actually open, just not pushed hard against the top) seems to cure it..

any thoughts as to where I need to look to resolve this if I can?

thanks!

Yup, ditto here, I find it creaks when setting off a kerb, like a crack more than a creek.

Not all the time but usually when theres a change in temperature.

I have the same thing. I have a creek when the car changes or twists, like of a curb. I also have a drivers windows rattle. Like you say, if the window is moved a tine amount, not even open (a quick click on the button) it goes. Must be something that seats the window. I've heard of this before and somone said that you have to take the inside of the door panel off and re adjust. I don't fancy that!!!!

Sounds more like the bodyshell is twisting and the door/window is not moing with it.
A bit of silicone lube is about all you can do

I had the problem - it seems to be the seals that dry out - buy some silicone stray from Halfords and treat all the door seams and the problem will be solved.

sounds like door seal rubbing on the body mine was doing that..silicone is good but if you goto dealer get some grytox spray much better and last longer..my mate got me a can sprayed it on the seals after cdleaned them and the noise has gone...!

jbreedon said:
I had the problem - it seems to be the seals that dry out - buy some silicone stray from Halfords and treat all the door seams and the problem will be solved.

I had same problem and same solution. I also had a squeaky/rattling sunroof. I bought some OEM Silicone spray and the squeaking/rattling hasn't come back.

grytox is the best stuff and is used by the techs at Audi now they won't use silicon.
Mine is very much weather related..bad when dry and hot and ok when raining.
Good trick get some undiluted screen wash and clean the seals then clean the body where the door meets...once done put your grytox spray on....job done!! screen wash is good for cleaning wipers....even when they say "wipers smearing and need changing"

Enjoy

marmite said:
grytox is the best stuff and is used by the techs at Audi now they won't use silicon.
Mine is very much weather related..bad when dry and hot and ok when raining.
Good trick get some undiluted screen wash and clean the seals then clean the body where the door meets...once done put your grytox spray on....job done!! screen wash is good for cleaning wipers....even when they say "wipers smearing and need changing"

Enjoy

Do Audi sell grytox and/or is there somewhere else you can get it from?

Hotscar said:
Do Audi sell grytox and/or is there somewhere else you can get it from?

Audi can supply it or try a goooogle search.
It's the best stuff Mercs use it too i think. silicone is a quick fix and will come back

Hi - mine does this as well. I'm going to try the 'Grytox' fix - but it seems to be the window that's making the noise (it stops when the window is moved down very slightly) , so how will lubricating the door seals make a difference?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

IMHO, I think that the window is a red herring. When the window is fully up, the door becomes more rigid, and doesn't flex as much as the rest of the car, which makes it rub agains the frame. With the window even slightly open, the door has got extra flex and that's why the door does not creak. I used some silicone spray on the door rubbers about 2 months ago, and it cured it, but it has now returned. I'll either use silicone again, or get some of the grytox mentioned here.

Yes, I was having a closer look last night and I came to that conclusion as to why the door seal could cure it. Thanks for that - I'll give it a go at the weekend.

By the way, I did a search and I think it's KRYTOX.

Cheers

Rick.

I've researched this quite a bit and it would appear it's do to largely with the doors and window frame. Apparantly the door and the (black) part of the window frame are separate. These are secured to one another but if not lined correct the window will push the frame out of shape! Solution is to fully open the window and then apply pressure with a knee at the top of the door near the alarm indicator. Pull back firmly but carefully on the frame. This had cured mine and it's what Audi do. No need for door stripping or piles of grease. A simple rubber protector will do the job. I use Diamonbrite vinyl and rubber care.

Hey guys this thread reminded me of that VW TV commercial a few years ago with that middle aged couple in a VW and the bloke could hear a creak and it ended up being his wifes earing.

Marko said:
Solution is to fully open the window and then apply pressure with a knee at the top of the door near the alarm indicator. Pull back firmly but carefully on the frame. This had cured mine and it's what Audi do.

Marko, I have this problem on my S4 and my Audi Centre have tried twice to fix it - stripping the door down on one occasion - without success. They're obviously not aware of the fix you describe, and I was about to go down the silicone spray/grease route when I read your post. My question is (and sorry if it's a stupid one) which side of the door are you pulling from, the inside or the outside? I'm guessing the former from your mention of the alarm indicator, but I just want to be 100% sure. Also, which part of the frame did you hold when you were pulling on it?

Cheers
John

John, It would appear this annoying rattle/ squeek comes from the upper seal which runs only at the top of the window. Theres the spongy seal that runs all the way around, then there's the troublesome one and finally the outer. If you drop the window a little, does the rattle go away? The rattle is actually the strip of rubber catching on the upper part of the door frame on the car.

I pulled from outside the car. So basically put the window all the way down, open the door then apply a knee as high as possible on the door itself. I held the black window frame on the vertical piece and midway un the upper piece. A firm but careful two or three times should do it. So basically pulling the frame away from the car. Also apply a moderate ammount of vinyl protection to the rubber. All of it. I really do recommend jewel ultra diamond brite vinyl and rubber care. Mine has been perfect since preforming the above operation some 2 months ago.

Hope it works out!! :)

Thanks, it worked! It's perfect now. Unfortunately, I applied some rubber care (Auto Glym) to the rubber seals at the same time, so I don't know which of these two methods had the most effect. :keule:

Time will tell I guess. Meanwhile, thanks again for the tip! :thumbsup:

Hello all,

I have the annoying rattle on my S3 too, I have tried pulling the door frame and I'll see if this makes a difference - I hope so it's driving me mad!

Cheers

Brian

it worked! I applied som epressure to the top of the door frame as makro suggested and the rattle is no more.......hurray!

bpascua said:
it worked! I applied som epressure to the top of the door frame as makro suggested and the rattle is no more.......hurray!

Good stuff. I did the same as JohnRCarter, I pulled the door and also applied some diamond brite vinyl care to the seals! Glad it's fixed..