Opinions please? Before I spend the dosh

sinbadfury

Reaction score
Pictures of my cambelt (very front of my 1.9 tdi 130, removed engine cover and plastic cover over belt at front)

I have it booked in to get changed, car at 55k...am I mad or does it look like it needs it?

First time messing with under the bonnet really
sml_belt1.jpg

sml_belt2.jpg

sml_belt3.jpg

Sinbad, you can NEVER tell.

TBH From your pics the belt looks in good condition but who knows how long it’ll last?

Sometimes when you change a belt (Cam or Accessory) it's obvious that it’s cracking and possibly on its way out.

I've seen belts with chunks missing and signs of then starting to delaminate, even within the service schedule.

Just get it done and rest easy for another 60k.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif
BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

It does look warn like Pete said. You can see crack appearing.

Everyone talks of mileage. My TDi 130 has covered 24k and will be 5 years old in September. I would have thought there would a mileage or time limit? The rubber must perish over years even if not covered the miles.??

Anyone know if this is the case?

Cheers

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
It does look warn like Pete said. You can see crack appearing.

Everyone talks of mileage. My TDi 130 has covered 24k and will be 5 years old in September. I would have thought there would a mileage or time limit? The rubber must perish over years even if not covered the miles.??

Anyone know if this is the case?

Cheers

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the franchise I work for says 5 years or 72k.

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Cheers Bub... Any ideas of costs for a cambelt change? I would also get the water pump changed as well like Pete says... May as well whilst the cambelt is being done...

Somewhere between £350-£400 for a cambelt change.

I'd be guessing on the extra cost for the water pump, about £30 for a water pump and probably about an aditional 0.5 - 1hr labour.

Yeah I was thinking it looked a bit worn, just wanted to be sure. Is going in next thursday and I think I will get the water pump done at the same time.

Should I mention tensioners etc, are they the other belts in around that cambelt area?

there's an AC belt and drive belt for the alt, p/steering ect, they have to come off to fit the cam belt so you may aswell change them at the same time as it will just cost the belts with no labour and make sure they change the cam belt tensioner

Sinbad, get all the belts, water pump, an tensioners done and at least if anything happens you are well covered.

I've just phoned Audi to book my car in but they've said 60 with no time limit!!! I'm stumped!! They are trying to put me off. Mine is like the pics above but cracks are not quite as obvious. It's done 23,500 miles and will be 5 in September!

What should I do?

Thanks

Got it done...full package, tensioners, pump etc. Turns out I needed and intercooler pipe as there was a leak, and the new pump had a tear so 3 days in and I ran out of coolant....replaced and all is good...just need to do a routine service now....thinking of doing it myself...presume its oil change, oil and fuel filter and reset?

btw is the pollen filter the air filter?