1.9 tdi or 1.9 tdi quattro ??

batty

Reaction score
gents

just a quick note and request for valued advice.

I'm looking at selling my S2 avant and buying an A4 tdi avant (need more economy and cheaper insurance)

looking to spend 10k to 11k on a high mile 3 year old. looking at 100k miles or more - they should be okay for 160k & will hopefully keep the car for 3 to 5 years.

I'm considering the quattro version, as I may be driving in the winter in europe & also I'm well impressed with the roadholding of my S2.

Can anyone advise me on the real-world mpg for each version, insurance group and costs, and anything else that would sway my decision.

Also I had an earlier A4 (96 model) which had to have the complete front suspension replaced. Is the later model more durable in terms of suspension joints and shockers ?

any advice gladly received

Mpg on 1.9tdi can be 60mpg cruising at 70mph.
But real world you will average 44-48 depending on speed & driving style.
I drive mainly motorway at 85mph when possible and in 60 hours driving have averaged 44mpg on the DIS, this does improve if you cruise at 75mph.
This equates to 500-600 miles per tank.
My only concern would be the lack of quattro versions on the market. You will be seriously limiting your choice of vehicles by sticking with a quattro, but I guess worthwhile if you need it.

I get 47-48mpg from my '02 1.9tdi sport (25% town, 25% m/way and the rest a/b roads), grp 13 insurance and £135 ved.

Roughly 650 miles per tank with about 10 litres left before refilling.

Have driven a 2.5 tdi quattro and the steering felt very direct (like an impreza or mr2) compared to my 1.9 (not that the 1.9 is bad it's just that the quattro felt better to me)

I believe the B6 front suspension is not as prone to wear as the B5.

Hope this is useful to you.

I've just swapped my S3 for a 1.9tdi Quattro Sport Avant. I like the Quattros you feel so much more confident especially in the wet.

They are quite hard to find though. Insurance is 12, a group lower that the 2 wheel drive version.

I drive mainly around town and I'm getting about 450 miles per tank, it's still too early for me to be any more accutate (I've only had it for a month).

Have done 47k in two years in an FWD 1.9tdi..

since the remap, even with 235/45/17s it can be a struggle getting the power down.. ESP light on lots, just as technics100 said..i would definately be tempted by quattro, for normal driving, for just that reason..

MRP how the hell are you getting 650+miles and still having 10litres left?! come on its an audi, DRIVE the thing! ;-)

Im not a hooligan, I dont thrash it, but i dont hang about either.. I get a fairly consistent 540m out of a tankful.. if its end of the month, money tight, I can stretch that up to about 600 in driving miss daisy mode..

02 FWD 130pd. generally 42mpg thats nearly all town driving with the engine cold, I do get it hot at the weekends..honest!! before the care police arrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chas

I get average of 42mpg on the motorway/ fast A road. Cruising around 90mph (in Germany of course...)

In medium traffic, 70mph ish I've seen the mpg get up to 46mpg, but that doesn't last long.

With just town driving, I average 31mpg.

Figures have been verified by distance / fuel volume, the DIS is accurate to about 5%

2002 A4 TDI 130 FWD 5G

thanks for the info so far guys

does anyone know what the quattro would cost me in mpg. would 10% seem reasonable difference to have to take the extra weight around everywhere and the extra mechanical drag. would you expect 40-ish mpg from a quattro

all i have to go on for quattro mpg is my S2 and at 23-ish mpg, I'm hoping for a lot more from a tdi !!

cheers

Overthe last "57 hours" of driving i have averaged 42.3 MPG. This has been town/city driving. As most of my journeys are usually motorway, i can see the range on a full tank extend to 600 miles if i keep the speed below 85, above that then the range comes down to 540. Best move i have ever made was to buy the quattro! With your budget you should get a fairly low mileage vehicle, i paid 13K for an 02 se spec quattro saloon 6 months ago with 34k on the clock from the main dealer. Have a look at measham/ notts BCA auctions, they seem to be pushing a few thu at the moment. By the way i have had the engine re-mapped to "around" 170 Bhp and the traction is fabulous. ( I'd of thought living in lincs you would want the AWD).

I have an S3 and my wife has the family A4 1.9 tdi avant, fwd. When we chose the A4 my wife felt we didn't need two expensive quattro's and preferred the economy of the fwd (not just fuel, the quattro system eats tyres - as unlike the haldex on the S3 it's permanent 4wd).

If it were our only car I would definitely have at least test driven the quattro. It may be that I've got lazy from the S3 and have just got used to flooring it from a standing start with no loss of grip, but I just can't get the power down in the A4 if it's even slightly damp and I'm forever getting those looks from the passenger seat when the wheels are spinning but we're going nowhere!

In the fwd A4's defence though it has excellent economy and ride and grip are still very good (once I've got it moving!), and it's quicker than I expected. The fact that it's not an out and out sporty vehicle even makes me drive in a more relaxed manner and I think the steering wheel doesn't get chewed as badly after a long journey!

Get the sport, not the SE though...

CurryMilkShake

650+mpg are the joys of a manual gearbox and 18 month baby!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I take it a remap is a worthwhile investment? I find the acceleration a little flat past 3k.

mrp

PS Batty

Parkers guide say 50mpg for fwd and 43mpg for a quattro which is 14% lower (about 40mpg in the real world?)

I liked the car before the remap - I love it since! The drive is transformed, it was a 25% increase or so across the board, torque too, but feels much more - but is so linear, power whenever you want it, yes, possibly the best £500 ive ever spent on a car..

economy post remap - it seems to affect the extremes.. use all that extra power a lot, economy drops. Motorway work however, with the engine that bit more efficient, the economy is better than before. On balance, I get exactly the same as before, though I know some have found an overall improvement..

I wouldnt hesitate to remap another car.. highly reccomended!

Earlier car, but wife runs a 98 1.9tdi quattro and its running a steady 48.5mpg on A roads and town. I have had it up to 56mpg on a long motorway journey (cruising at 80mph), worst I've seen was 43 - lots of short (2mile) journeys when it got used for the school run.

Sister in law runs a 54 plate passat tdi 4motion (I think the 150bhp pd engine) estate and recons to get high 50's on a motorway commute - but thats got the part time 4wd rather than the torsen.

I dont know whats in the new A4's but the A3/S3, passat and the skoda octavia tdi 4x4 (and porsche)use the part time awd system made by haldex
in which case I would expect the extra load to be significantly less than with the full time stuff in our A4

[ QUOTE ]
Earlier car, but wife runs a 98 1.9tdi quattro and its running a steady 48.5mpg on A roads and town. I have had it up to 56mpg on a long motorway journey (cruising at 80mph), worst I've seen was 43 - lots of short (2mile) journeys when it got used for the school run.

Sister in law runs a 54 plate passat tdi 4motion (I think the 150bhp pd engine) estate and recons to get high 50's on a motorway commute - but thats got the part time 4wd rather than the torsen.

I dont know whats in the new A4's but the A3/S3, passat and the skoda octavia tdi 4x4 (and porsche)use the part time awd system made by haldex
in which case I would expect the extra load to be significantly less than with the full time stuff in our A4

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. We struggle to get over 40 mpg from our 130 PD FWD saloon. Most of the driving is short town trips but even on a long motorway trip I haven't seen over 50mpg (from filling up not the DIS). Your sister in law's car will be a 130PD like ours so even more surprising that she can get that sort of economy unless it's slow but steady motorway driving.

One point though. The previous Passat uses the Torsen system just like the A4. It's only the smaller VAG cars that use Haldex i.e. the ones with transverse engines. Not sure about the current Passat though as that has transverse engines.

So Macduff how many miles from a tank are you getting? Also Cruise control really helps with economy on the motorway, without it it's surprising how your speed naturally fluctuates without you even realising.
If I sit at 70mph on a flat motorway the DIS shows a consistent 58mpg over a decent stretch

cheers guys

interesting about the parkers guide - 14% seems quite a drop - but would live with it now I'm used to a quattor (there's nothing like dropping the clutch at the lights in the wet & just taking off !!)

nice car on the fontain's web-site - but i need an avant and they seem to be at least 1k more.

the missis has an A6 1.9 tdi FWD multi and we only get about 40mpg from it, although its mostly short trips into town (6 miles max)

Andymac - am surprised about the cruise control result you are saying?

typically, on most cars cruise worsens the economy - by maintaining the ideal 'speed' under load, like up a steep hill, where many people back off a little, etc etc..

certainly on a motorway run, i can achieve better results driving 'manually' than with cruise.. not by much to be fair, but cruise definately knocks a couple of mpg off for me.. its the second reason I dont like it, and I never use it now!

Well I guess it's swings and roundabouts, you lose some on the upward hills and gain elsewhere, if I have a car in front slowing me down then he pulls over I would tend to accelerate heavily to get passed him as quickly as possible, whereas with cruise I'll just blip it back on and creep back up to cruising speed. It's all dependent on how you drive without cruise.
On busy motorways I tend to find myself driving to the limit of the traffic, so they dictate the different speeds. On a clear motorway this leads to speeds creeping up past 90 without me even noticing, so for me cruise is a godsend both for economy and my licence, I can just set it to 84 on the road angel and not have to worry.