Oil Filler Cap - how could this happen??

Platinum70

Reaction score
Lifted the bonnet today having heard a strange rattle to find the engine oil filler cap was undone and oil had sprayed onto the bonnet. Checked the oil level and seemed not much had gone.

How on earth could this happen??

Checked the cap and it doesn't seem faulty. Normal tight fit.

Have I been unlucky or has anyone else ever experienced this???

Thanks

Happen to me on a previous car, but I had just picked it up from the dealer and they had not put it back correctly.. But unsure about yours ?

[ QUOTE ]

Mice ?

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

M.I.C.E - must translate to my incompetent car engineer.

It must have been slightly loose when it went back to the garage recently. I checked the oil shortly after my service to find the level nearly an inch over the max line.

Great service!!

[ QUOTE ]
M.I.C.E - must translate to my incompetent car engineer.

It must have been slightly loose when it went back to the garage recently. I checked the oil shortly after my service to find the level nearly an inch over the max line.

Great service!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Joking aside, that's probably what happened. Having your oil over filled like that isn't good though, did you get any drained out? Your Milltek Cat' won't like it that's for sure.

BUB

Yes it was drained out but it was over-filled for about two weeks or more. I wasn't happy.

Had the same thing happen after a service, picked the car up and drove 300 miles straight away, oil light came on just as I was finished the journey. Not a happy bunny, took it back to the garage to have it all cleaned up...