a4 suspension help/comments/suggestions ?

firestorm

Reaction score
Hi
I'm in the market for a new damper, ns rear is leaking - so this is the perfect excuse to get something better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

from trawling the forums, the conscensus are :

1) from the S3 crowd, H&R springs + Bilstein Sprintline/B8 dampers
2) H&R springs + Koni Yellows
3) american websites, audiworld.com etc H&R springs + Koni FSD

4) Provenproducts.co.uk - John,

Bilstein B4 + Leisure4 springs give a 10% uprated from standard
Bilstein sprintline + H&R springs give a ride similar to a M3

I had a Mk2 Golf GTI 16v with Koni Yellow suspension kit, great around corners, but quite harsh when you're in a mellower mood. That was 15 years ago <sigh>, I'm now greyer and bigger round my middle ... with wife + kid, so I my priorities have changed.

I like the damping on a BMW 330i on standard suspension, could just about put up with the suspension on a M3.

Any one any comments ?
or even better, any one give me a ride in their modified a4 so I can judge for myself what I'll be letting myself in for ?

I'm based in Surrey.

Car is a 2002 A4 Avant SE 130 oil burner, now with 20mm r arb

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]
Bilstein B4 + Leisure4 springs give a 10% uprated from standard

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a good compromise for you.

TBH the S-Line suspension can be a bit 'crashy' over poor surfaces. But on the right road it hooks up pretty well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (even better with the RS4 ARB now).

I'd love a set of KW stainless steel coilovers, but really see them as an unnecessary extravagance..............

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'm in 2 minds at the moment - but ultimately I'll need to aim for practicality and not make my a4 into a something too extreme. I'm just wondering how muc worse the ride is with the uprated dampers & springs, before I decide on the lowered springs and bilstein b4s