Camshaft Belt Change 60k or 80k

howatsi

Reaction score
Just had the car serviced 3rd AVS at 56k miles April 2004 c /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifar, when I booked it in with the dealer, I asked whether it needed the camshaft belt changing as they said at the last service it needed doing next time. Definitely sir and it will cost £460, ouch!, checked in the service book and it says 80k, hmm, rang the supplying dealer (7 miles away from them) and they said definitely 80k checked on the system to see when your car was built. So rang back the servicing dealer and asked if they were sure it was 60k, oh yes even though the supplying dealer said 80k, oh yes and the book says 80k oh yes and if you don't do it and it snaps it will need a rebuild and that will cost £ks. Hmm! so rang Audi UK and they confirmed it is definitely 80k and sent me an e-mail to confirm, this will cover me if it snaps before 80k. It's good to see that some of the dealers live up to their reputation!!!

Do you have a diesel or petrol engine as i think cam belt changes are different between the two.

You have to remember that regardless of what the correct interval is, it is a recommendation only. It is NOT a guarantee that the existing belt will last that long. Any component can fail at any time.

So I don't think you could rely on Audi UK's email telling you the recommended mileage for changing a cambelt is 80,000 as grounds for recovering the cost of repairing the engine if the belt failed before then.

I just had mine done on a 1.9TDi thats covered 55k.
It's AVS and the timer was up, so decided to do it to be safe.

Besides I might be flogging it soon, so thought it would be a good selling point.

I appreciate any component can fail at any time, but if the book says 80k and is confirmed by Audi UK, i think I would have a strong case if the worse did happen. I am sure if the car was run by a leasing company they would change it at 80k, also Audi say it is due to change not recommended. Anyway you pays your money and ..............it is a 1.9TDi by the way.

1.9 tdi's are 60k not 80k the 2.0 tdi is 80k and no way will a 1.9 make it to 80k !! at 50k the belt will be in a bad way and at 60k it will be at snaping point, i've fitted lots of them and have never seen a good belt on one yet, good luck if you try getting to 80k