new brakes fitted DIY

chazzy

Reaction score
Real feeling of acheivement this afternoon, spent a while planning changing the disc and pads, the car had had new pads but on very old discs, prev owner had declined suggestion to change them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif, so the pads were shagged.

about an hour a side including cleaning inside wheel. and the bonus was no bolts were stuck.

only bought OE style discs, local brake part supplier, £74 all in QH discs and APEC pads.
rang local stealer for a laugh, discs were sim price, pads were £55 ish plus VAT! more than double.
Chas

Nice one mate, got this job to do myself at the weekend.

How did you find removing the carrier bolts on the front? I've read they are a bitch, hoping my breaker bar will help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

the carrier bolts were the ones i was nervous about, the thing that turns a 20min job into an hour of swearing and kicking things. i posted eleswhere that i bought a new breaker bar to help persuade them, i had a hernia repair a month ago so didn't want to be straining! they were fine to shift and there was enough room for the bar to move with the wheels on lock just up on an axle stand. the hardest bit is getting the floating part off the non worn rusty edge of the disc, lots of hammering.
i took the opportunity to clean up all the metal work in case i want to paint the calipers soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Chas

Very good tip on the cleaning of things, will do that I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif