Turbo or Remap??

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I'm in two minds about what to purchase next. My turbo (ending in 'F') works fine, however it does whistle. It has done this for a a few thousand miles, never got any worse. Pulls like a trooper and performs on song. I want to have a custom exhaust fitted but the turbo whistling is stopping as the sound will be exaggerated through the larger, louder chimneys. I would look to replace with a Turbo (2nd hand) ending in 'S'.

OR,

Do I keep my whistling turbo, standard exhaust and get a remap installed instead? Another wish list item!

Clutch is fine (well, it is towing the caravan and flooring it) so I assume it would be ok with the extra power of a remap?

What would you do? Both are about the same price too.

Dan

You need to do all before a remap otherwise once you mod it again with a new turbo or free flowing exhaust the map could be all wrong

Reactions: S4_dan
If it was me I would sort the turbo first,then new exhaust and then the remap,so you will get the most out of the remap.

Would I be better with a new turbo internal off the bay or a used one in good condition?
Looks like the general census is to replace the blower.

Dan

My new bigger bv43 turbo whistles,even on tick over,i think its sounds cool.

Reactions: BakPak
The whistle could just be a boost leak from the **** clip system on the ic pipes. As they get older the lugs wear down making the connection loose, which in turn releases boost and sound.

I'm in two minds about what to purchase next. My turbo (ending in 'F') works fine, however it does whistle. It has done this for a a few thousand miles, never got any worse. Pulls like a trooper and performs on song. I want to have a custom exhaust fitted but the turbo whistling is stopping as the sound will be exaggerated through the larger, louder chimneys. I would look to replace with a Turbo (2nd hand) ending in 'S'.

OR,

Do I keep my whistling turbo, standard exhaust and get a remap installed instead? Another wish list item!

Clutch is fine (well, it is towing the caravan and flooring it) so I assume it would be ok with the extra power of a remap?

What would you do? Both are about the same price too.

Dan

If you don't want to go past a remap then the S turbo will prove a decent improvement but you will quickly get used to it ! I have been tonight into a friends 1998 a6 v6 tdi with a PSI Motorsport tuning box and the turbo ending in S gt2052v, goes very, very well and masses of torque on demand without struggling at all !

Cheers Chris. Remap and exhaust is all for the time being so that could be the setup I'm after. Do you have any 'S' turbos for sale?

I need to have a look in the garage, might have one ending in F or S...

The whistle could just be a boost leak from the **** clip system on the ic pipes. As they get older the lugs wear down making the connection loose, which in turn releases boost and sound.

All my pipes are replaced,and boost gauge show no signs of leaks. No whistle b4 with old turbo,whistle with new.
I have removed the pulsation box with is supposed to suppress the turbo noise i believe.

All my pipes are replaced,and boost gauge show no signs of leaks. No whistle b4 with old turbo,whistle with new.
I have removed the pulsation box with is supposed to suppress the turbo noise i believe.

Was your turbo new or re-furbed ? Poor rebuilds or missing chunks off the turbine will create that noise...

Mine whistles under throttle.
I assumed it was what Turbo cars do? (Always had petrol until this car!)
Does it mean the Turbo is on the way out?