S4 4.2 v8 gearbox issues

ak-audi

Reaction score
Hi all I've got a 2004 Audi s4 4.2v8 avant with manual gearbox, it's been driving fine upto about 5 weeks ago when the gearbox seems to be nicking 3,4 and 5 gears on the way up and down the box.. Does anybody know the reason for this? Or is it gearbox out and rebuilt time?

Also ive put 2.5litres of oil in it in the last 2k miles I can't seem to find any leaks what could be causing this?

Many thanks in advance

Sounds like a synchromesh issue or a possible cheap fix is to check the alignment setup of the gear linkage.

When was the last time the gear oil was changed?

Is the gearbox alignment something I can do at home, does it need any special tools? Looked through all the records gearbox oil was done 10k ago..

If there are no fault codes I would change the fluid with genuine VAG ATF & go from there.

Ah just noticed it's a manual so fault codes don't apply. 2.5 ltr's of fluid in 2 k isn't good & wouldn't be caused by incorrect linkage alignment. I'd be getting the car up on a ramp & having a good look for leaks.

Sorry the oil it's using is engine oil, not gearbox

Any blue smoke from the exhaust?
If gear selection issue is only on certain gears the problem is probably incorrect linkage alignment.

Hi there's no blue smoke at all on start up, or when driving?!! Going to have a look at the alignment later on today hopefully so il let you know how I get on.