Steering Woes

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just driven the Audi today for the first time in a few weeks. The wife has been driving it and as per usual never reports anything back to me. I noticed today that the steering was heavy and not quite right. Driving along the run the car sometimes just pulled to the left or when taking a long corner it was vague, sometimes I had to steer a bit more in the general direction to keep the same driving line! Wasn't good fun.

Jacked up the nearside front wheel and wobbled the wheel, apart from being hot from 25 miles journey home (we live in hills out in the sticks) nothing. Jacked up the offside front wheel and wobbled side to side and the rack clunks and there is a few mm movement. I take it my rack has gone on vacation and needs replacing?

There was a little bit of movement on the top rear control arm but I think this was showing due to the steering arm moving in and out.

Any ideas on cost of a rack?
It 'looks' an easy DIY but is it really? Anyone done a DIY rack?

It's bad timing as I have the Hippo to repair too. That should be the wifes' vehicle but due to the problems, I'm driving the Hippo and she is in the Audi. :-(

Cheers,

Dan

Inner tie Rods are dead easy to do
And are only £30 for lemforder from euro car parts

So I would change them and the track rod ends each before doing the rack

Yeah, I would use Lemforder as already looked those parts up. Will change the offside first s that's the only one knocking for now. Hopefully I won't need a new rack!

Cheers.

Again before you change the rack maybe try a fluid change
Just before you commit to a rack.

What's the mileage out of interest?

Go with what others have said and replace inner tie-rod first, well before looking at replacing the rack. While you're at it - look at front ARB bush. It's inexpensive but regularly overlooked, along with C link to anti-roll bar.

Mileage is 168k. I ordered two Meyle HD inner and outer ties. Hoping to fit them one evening when they arrive. If it's easy to do.

I checked the C link and ARB links when looking for intial fault. Appeared to look ok. I am also in two minds of buying a full Meyle HD set of control arms but I also need a 2nd car so it will depend on how much i spend on the 2nd car!

Dan

I bought the full kit mate
As It's cost and time effective
And I had the money at the time

The kit comes with or without the tie rod ends on All German Parts site so not a total loss.

But I'm with you on the ease of change thing replacing all at once. If the knocking continues then I'll just buy a kit and replace the lot including shocks.