Sidelight replacement with LED's

• Thread starter imported_ChristianF
  • Start date
I

imported_ChristianF

I have some LED replacements for my sidelights but all they do is flash when i put them in, how can I stop this from happening?

i have tried putting a resistor across the bulb and this stops it flashing but it gets really hot and i'm worried about it melting the headlight plastic.

anyone else done this? I have seen a TT with them in and as I have xenons in my car i would like the led's to work as the sidelights look too yellow!

Get some Philips Blue vision H6W's HERE

They're very good, maybe not as good as LED's but at least you don't have to wire in a resistor the size of a house brick...................

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Got those already, not v.happy with them.
Plus, i've had the seals on the headlights replaced by audi recently and now one of my sidelights is n/w and a xenon is going on and off intermittantly

I have LED sidelights in my A4 they are modifed ba9s but you can now get h6w fitment. Mine work ok along side my xenons but i do not have DIS on the car. They would not work in my wifes A3 which has DIS.The bulbs are also a h5w fitting.

Mine doesn't have the DIS either, I had a bulb gone for ages and it didn't show anything up.

Its as if I have DIS but not the in car display.

I have the H6W bulbs, but as mentioned before they just flash!

Is it easy to install the LED wedge bulbs, I have big bucket hands, I be honest and not checked yet under the bonnet properly to see whats what!

have you tried the leds on a seperate 12v supply.
E.G. on the interior. If they overheat they will flash, they are so close to the main beam that they will fry in a couple of mins.
the only solution i can think of for this is to fit a hid conversion to the main as they as supposed to produce a lot less heat.
A hid conversion for my dipped is high on the list of things wanted, but at the moment i think a remap is the highest priority.

Any news on those leds yet?
i have just put some 1W leds i found on ebay in the front of mine.
They are very bright and very white, but they are just as easy to fry as all the rest of them.

dstech said:
Another suggestion is to use a ceramic resistor with heat shrink around it. Those dissipate heat a lot better than your standard grade resistor.

Can any one advise how the resistor is wired in - does it matter what wire it is wired in to??

dstech said:
It needs to be wired accross the ground and pwr lines, basically bridging the connections....what your're doing is decreasing the overall resistance across the bulb.

So basically, its just wired in to the 2 wires that are already in the bulb holder??