Bad news :( :(

mattyb6

Reaction score
Well I guess il get straight to the point lol

After months of bad tapping and ticking on my 1.9tdi fwd
It decided to destroy a hydraulic follower on cylinder 3, a month after I've replaced the tandem pump.
:( :(

So I though this is the time to get rid and sell up. Was tempted to get a 3.0 b8 but funds won't allow it ATM.

So I've had to take the hit and get it fixed at a massive cost.

Rang darkside as they seemed to be the cheapest for parts.

I bend the following:-
8x followers at £10 each
New camshaft (going to buy the kit) £335
New timing belt and water pump £170
New stretch bolts kit £60
New injector seals £50
Rocker gasket £15

Roughly totals at £780 inc vat and delivery

Plus £150 labour as I used to work there.

So I'm not happy that my car won't be fixed til Monday, and it's costing me £1k for a car that is worth 2.5k at the most.

So as you can see not a good day for Matty!

Bad news indeed.
At least it should be fine for another good while after it's fixed.
£1000 isn't cheap to fix a £2500 car but it wouldn't be worth much with a dead motor.

I feel for you mate. I'm guessing yours has been ran on longlife oil changes all it's life? As this is what tends to kill the 150PDs

My 2003 connect van with 185,000 is going to cost me nearly a grand ,,4 new injectors,clutch and flywheel .....but hey,,better the devil you know sometimes mate!

A low mileage half descent motor with some warranty and after servicing it (oil, filter, timing belt etc) will cost about £750 then labour charge on top it will be about the same price. It would be quicker to replace the motor but then again whats to say you won't suffer a similar failure on the replacement engine. Better the devil you know, at least you will know the history of the engine once it's been fixed.

Thanks lads

A new engine is roughly £500 maybe a little more inc shipping. Labour will be a few hundred. But then it would need a timing belt so would be in the same boat, but like greeny said I don't know the history of that motor.

All this comes as I'm saving for a house too, so had to dip into savings, but the girlfriend said I can trade it in later in the year for a b8 ;) lol

Andy_w - it's got a 184k on it and it's had new suspensions arms, clutch and fuel pump in the three years I've had it so it should last another 184k

Cnut - it's been serviced about every 12-15k for the first 5/6 years of it's life by audi,Then about 10k after that by Indy garages.

I'm the 4th owner from new, and my mate was the last owner who owned it for 6months.

So 5years of it's life I don't know what oil has been used, which is when most of ots mileage was put on. So this could have contributed to the failure.

I'm even taking the coilovers off and putting standard springs and shocks on, and standard wheels. To help preserve the life of the car, as my bumpers constantly scrape on things, wheels rubbing etc. So at least when I trade it in or sell it it looks like it hasn't been modded and lower the value

Well il keep you guys posted, parts are shipped today and should arrive Monday, and will have the car back Monday night or Tuesday morning.

Could you not have sorted the problem in the months leading up to the failure?

Would that have stopped the big bill replacing the part before the damage was done?

Lee I didn't know it was the follower, the cam was in good condition, with no wear, injectors are fine.
All symptoms seemed to point to the tandem pump.
Replacing it did help but not fully.

I've always used good oil etc and good practice. So I guess it couldn't be helped

Just one of those things, the B6's are knocking on a bit now but still a great looking car, i'm in the same boat but with bodywork front wing starting to show signs of rust and the usual stone chips i'm looking at having front and rear end respray, i know the full history of the car from new so will probably keep untill it's time to scrap it.

No valve damage and I didn't think the cam kit came with followers as it didn't say on the website I don't think.

Plus Danny from darkside said I'd have to order them in, as they don't stock them unless your right mate.

Head dosent have to come off either which is good.

And Matty, my arches are scabby but I'm just going to touch them in for now until I can paint them

Cobra I've had a look and yeah your right my mistake and my injector rockers are fine

So saved my self some money....well my tax is due this month so no saving haha

Clutch got done last year mate
It's a single mass flywheel too

And I know I've put about £2500 in 3 years just on parts

Probs spent the same in mods aswell

Il let you know the score when it's done, in theory it should be like a new motor as most of the top is new and the bottom end is mint, dosent skip a beat.

Tbf half the money I'm spending is for the timing belt, which needed done anyway so can't really complain

Deffo getting a 3.0tdi b8 later in the year
Our lass can have the b6 ;)

Parts came today!!
Yeahhh!!!

And the front end is off, so should get it back tomorrow night. Just as well as driving a 1.3 corsa just isn't the same although it does 60mpg so can't grumble tbf

The lads that are doing it have done them before and even have 2.5tdi's before so I now it's in good hands.

It will be out the test when I take it to Edinburgh on sat. 150 miles each way.

I'm actually looking forward to drive it as it might make me want to keep it if it drives and pulls a lot better without rattling or knocking.

Another update!!

I've bent exhaust valve 1,2,3.

So means a head off job which I just can't afford, and three new valves, plus a head gasket set and a skim.

So I think it's time I cut my losses, as it's going to be a 1500+ bill in total
:( :(

Paul I'm fooking sick, I need my car for work, and it's been off the road since Wednesday.

By the time I got a head, still got it skinned etc plus the extra labour and cost I don't think it's worth it

I'm guna have to seriously think about what I'm going to do

Yeah mate, was cheaper just buying valves and a head set
As I already had the cam and only cost me £80 extra

Parts total is now at about £850 and labour is probably on about £400

Update!!

Car is fixed!
At a total cost of £1450. It sounds so much smoother, and the old cam had about 10mm chipped of the end of the Inlet lobe on cylinder 3.

Standard suspension is going back on this Monday aswell.

And my bmw x5 wheels might be up for sale.

Although it's been a crap week. I'm actually really looking forward to drive it again

keep it. should be sweet now. not want it mapping now too. got an offer on ;)

Il see mate, if our lass see me spending more money she will go mental! Haha

But it's still a possibility though. Must say it was a very fair offer too ;)

Il let you's know how it's running in a few hours, and get yourself up dan, Paul is sound.

Another update

Got the car back, and it's mint ...well sort of

It's quiet, runs smooth as a nut, no rattles or bangs. Like a new engine..... Apart from no turbo

Now, it's not in limp mode, and all the pipes are where they supposed to be, there's no sound of leaks

The shaft is mint and no signs of damage either.

It's drives mint but as if it didn't have a turbo as standard. Can still get it up to 60mph and all is fine.......just no boost which I've found very strange

The sensors have been plugged back in too. I think il have to get it vagcom'd (Paul if ya reading )

Also the ASV isn't working either so I believe there is no pressure in the system at all.

Brakes seems fine
Although I am going to follow the pipe diagram again that I've got.

No obvious signs of splits in the main boost pipes.
I might try and get a cheap boost gauge

could be a pipe the wrong way around as said. more than welcome to pop down anytime

Appreciate it as always mate thanks

Maybe talk about maps ;)

It can only be one of the following:

Pipe on wrong
Boost solenoid ******, which I doubt
Map sensor
Torn or loose boost pipe
Inter cooler has a hole in due to front end removal
Waste gate is stuck, doubt that too

Would oil not getting into the turbo cause this? As there was metal in the oil, so the oil feed pipe could be blocked??? Maybe

If I can get this sorted without spending anything or a lot il keep it ;)