Tiptronic or manual ?

miniturhero

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm looking at getting an s4 as I've mention on a previous post and thank you for all the spot on help and advise :icon_thumright: I've been looking at a few online and have come across a couple that are auto tiptronic and have f1 style paddles , I've owned an auto merc with tiptronic but using the gear stick and I found it slow in responding to me wanting to change gear , does anyone own or has driven an auto s4 that could tell me if they are slow in response to gear changes or if the flappy paddles are any good or shall I stick with a manual ? I've tried finding reviews on YouTube but no joy.

Thank you in advance

miniturhero :icon_thumright:

It's all personal taste, but I have had both but prefer the involvement of the Manual, remember the Tiptronic is no S-tronic by a long way

Cheers

What is an s-tronic ? Is that super responsive on the gear changes ?

S-tronic or DSG is the double clutch gearbox used by VAG changes are super quick, far quicker than a manual, the B6 is too old for that technology, having had 2 V6 TTs with DSG I can recommend it, it's only downfall from a personal point is I like a clutch pedal for involvement, rather than just the two. Google DSG that will tell you what you need to know, but it won't help you with you decision, I'd go Manual but it's a personal choice

Cheers

I right I see , fare enough thank you for clearing the up for me I think I will be sticking with a manual I think like yourself I like to be involved and I like the gear changes to be when I want them if that makes sense

i have a tiptronic s4
before purchasing i drove both manual and tiptronic and much preferred the tiptronic found the clutch heavy and cumbersome on the manual
the gearbox on the tip can be used in 3 different modes fully auto , manual or sport

fully auto changes both up and down the gearbox , but pushing the paddle shift will over-ride it
manual does not change up a gear until rev limit of near 7000rpm is reached or paddleshift or gearlever used
sport ... changes throttle response and gives you 5 close ratio gears , the car feels very very different when this is used

theres nothing in performance terms between the manual or tiptronic but the manual does get better fuel economy round town
but the tiptronic has a longer 6th gear for motorway work

ideally you need to drive both to see which suits your style of driving

Manual gives slightly better economy and performance, plus as said auto's a bit of a pig when it comes to getting the right gear.

Manual gives slightly better economy and performance, plus as said auto's a bit of a pig when it comes to getting the right gear.

I'm pretty sure it's the other way round as the manual has a short lower gearing in 6th which means its at higher revs compared to tiptronic

I've owned dsg before and now have s4 tiptronic
The dsg was blistering and unnoticeable changes
The tiptronic isn't as instant, but it's no slouch

Its a good box and less worries on clutch change which is about £1k

What are you driving now?
I could demo in a cab if you're in bristol?

I have the trip s4b7 and couldn't be happier. The paddles make it so much better. Plus if you do it right it's happy doing manual rev matching and launch control (crude versions anyway).

I'm pretty sure it's the other way round as the manual has a short lower gearing in 6th which means its at higher revs compared to tiptronic

I've owned dsg before and now have s4 tiptronic
The dsg was blistering and unnoticeable changes
The tiptronic isn't as instant, but it's no slouch

Its a good box and less worries on clutch change which is about £1k

What are you driving now?
I could demo in a cab if you're in bristol?

Where in Bristol are you? I'm over in Chippenham but in Bristol a lot!

North bristol
Work over Aztec west

Who do you use for garage work?

as said tiptronic has higher gearing in 6th so better for fuel economy on motorway
as for out and out performance they do use they cars for drag racing in the states and the top ones are tiptronic not manual
but in the real world i do not think there is any differance whatsoever

its down to preferance drive each one and see which you think is best for your style of driving
the manuals are cheaper to buy , but may end up costing more for the known clutch problems