RNS-E Retrofit Cable Assistance

lococard

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've retro fitted an RNS-E into my A4 B6 with a double din conversion. However, it appears my RNS-E is actually draining the battery, and i believe it is because I've got the wrong cable.

I have an RNS-E, 6 stacker CD Changer in glovebox and non-bose.

- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Audi-A3-A...ebdb09a&_uhb=1
- "1x ISO CD-changer, BOSE plug"

This is what the seller has described the item as.

Should I be searching for a NON-Bose with CD changer? Could anyone advise which cable?

Thanks,

I take it you have coded the unit correctly?

The cable in the ebay add shows the brown ISO connector for the front speakers, true Bose adapter cables should not have this connector.

I take it you have coded the unit correctly?

The cable in the ebay add shows the brown ISO connector for the front speakers, true Bose adapter cables should not have this connector.

Yea I belive so. Used a VAG COM cable and changed a digit to reflect the newly installed RNS-E.

OK, so what is the coding on the RNS-E

Do you mean what was changed using the VAG COM cable?

I'll have to look into it but from what I can recall all that was necessary was updating one of the stereo codes so that the ECU knew an RNS-E was fitted. Only one number had to change.

Yes. You should have coded the RNS-E and the instrument cluster, and bluetooth module if fitted.

It doesn't have BT.

Would not programming the instrument cluster affect the power drain?

I've reprogrammed the codes.

STG 56 (Navigation) = 03?1153
STD 17 (Inst Cluster) = 00005

Does that look correct?

3?1153 RNS-E coding suggests an A4 without Bose but with CD changer and TV tuner and Aux In,[/URL][/URL]

Thanks for the reply.
This is correct apart from the TV tuner, so may need to update that. I only need to change the last code then right?
= 0301152

On the instrument cluster it's the value in adaptation channel 61 that's important not the actual coding[/URL]

Ah right, my trial version of VCDS lite won't let me check that.

I've pulled the fuse for the radio and see if the battery drains over night.

Last edited:
Ah right, my trial version of VCDS lite won't let me check that..
That's why you need the full version of VCDS...

If the RNS-E is coded for the correct vehicle and the CAN bus is connected properly then it will turn on/off with ignition OK.

I say ignition but that's actually a simplification - the RNS-E turns on, but with a blank screen, when you unlock the car; then the screen turns on when you turn the ignition on. When you turn the ignition off (and remove the key) the reverse happens, i.e. the RNS-E stays on but with a blank screen; it only turns off when you lock the car or 30 minutes after you remove the key.

That's why you need the full version of VCDS...
If the RNS-E is coded for the correct vehicle and the CAN bus is connected properly then it will turn on/off with ignition OK.

I see, I'll try sourcing a full version.

However, I pulled the fuse for the 'Radio' and left the car overnight. The RNS-E wouldn't turn on, so I believe the correct fuse was removed.

But in the morning the battery was flat...

Would they mean it may not be the radio then :S

If the radio fuse was removed and the battery still went flat then it can't be due to the radio...

Yeah, looks like its time for a new battery. However I believe the RNS-E has killed it.

Last night I left the positive terminal to the battery unhooked, in the morning the battery was flat.

However, when I connected the terminal in the morning. The radio came on.

Should the radio work with no key in the ignition? The RNS-E was on and playing music :S

Should the radio work with no key in the ignition? The RNS-E was on and playing music :S
Yes, you can turn the RNS-E on at any time - but it will turn off after 30 minutes unless you turn the ignition on in the meantime.

It has only PERMANENT 12V and uses CAN bus messages to tell it when to turn on/off.