Noise from rear wheel - Tyre problem ? Help

I

imported_Smudge973

At 40mph I can hear they rear NS tyre, sound like it's rolling uneven, at speed I can also feel a vibration coming from the rear. They tyres on the rear have plenty of tread, they were replaced approximatly 8k miles ago. Having had a good look at the tyre this evening I have noticed that the inside appears to have worn un-evenly. If you run your fingers over the surface you can feel the tyre is uneven. Anyone have an idea why this would have happened, it's one thing getting the tyre replaced but if it happens again... Argh - I will try a trip to the dealer tomorrow, but does anyone have any ideas ? ? Cheers chaps........

Sounds like something is bent on the rear. Do you have quattro ?.

Best way to find out is get a 4 wheel alighnment check. Had the same problem with a mk2 golf a few years ago. made a lot of tyre noise at certain speeds, especially when slowing down. Tyre wear was also uneven. Diagnosed as a bent stub axle.

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Had it on my A4 a while back, sounded dreadful at certain speeds, and I ended up with uneven wear resulting in 4 bald patches on the tyre.

what type are the tyres? I had the same thing happen with federal tyres. they are known for wearing unevenly. just a thought.

[ QUOTE ]
what type are the tyres? I had the same thing happen with federal tyres. they are known for wearing unevenly. just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also Avons are known for this too!

Recently had exactly the same problem on B6 Avant. Thought it was a wheel bearing but no problem on investigation. Changed the wheel for the spare with new tyre - noise gone, Could not see any uneven ware but the tyre guys said this was the problem on this one, they see it quite a bit on A4's apparently.

Well chaps, went to my dealer this morning, they put the car on the ramp and said that all was fine with the suspension and all that they could see... If I wanted a Geo check it would be £150. I Run the car on Dunlops SP 9000. It's booked in on Monday for a new tyre. The dealer did say the can happen on the A4 as mentioned by Oilburner. I'm centain the noise will go when the new tyre is fitted, but will it come back in time, who knows

Have noticed today that the rear NS arch is higher that the other ones now !!!

[ QUOTE ]
Have noticed today that the rear NS arch is higher that the other ones now !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

They've probably had it up on jacks, so the springs & dampers have been extended. Bounce up & down on it a couple of times & it'll re-settle.

it had a similar problem on mine when tyres were coming to the end of their life. took it to stealers and they checked both bearings with stethoscope and no problem. New tyres noise gone (on F1 GSD3s)

imported_Smudge973 said:
Well chaps, went to my dealer this morning, they put the car on the ramp and said that all was fine with the suspension and all that they could see... If I wanted a Geo check it would be £150. I Run the car on Dunlops SP 9000. It's booked in on Monday for a new tyre. The dealer did say the can happen on the A4 as mentioned by Oilburner. I'm centain the noise will go when the new tyre is fitted, but will it come back in time, who knows

A fiar few miles gone by since my last post on this. All tyres down to 2mm wear and your guessed it the rumble is back.

Interesting to note that Smudge973 was running Dunlop SP Sport 9000's. Both my sets with problems have been the same - time to try a different tyre. Any suggestions as an alternative to Dunlop SP Sport 9000 235/45ZR17's. I'm doing more than average mileage - (78k two years), no track days as its a Diesel, mostly mothorway cruisng with an occasion play !

Cheers.