B6 S4 Convertible Mods

h20ruf

Reaction score
Looking at getting B6 S4 convertible, looked at a couple last week, and got another one to look at tonight.

One thing that springs out is the odd spec on these. I was selling them when they were new, and always told people they needed heated seats, armrest, Bose and DVD Sat Nav as a minimum, to help resale in the future, but seems nobody else advised their customers of spec cling them "right".

Anyhow...

i will ill be looking at:

1) Spacers, just enough to get the wheels flush to the body. Any sizes or recommended products?
2) Armrest, second hand ones rare as hens teeth these by the look of it.
3) RNS-E, but most seem single DIN so looks expensive and hassle.
4) SmartTOP comfort module, where from? I need/want the simplest, plug n play solution there is!
5) Exhaust, custom or Milltek, who knows?

This car will be a toy mainly, so don't want to spend £0000's on it really, but inevitably looks like I will!

I know now I could get a cheaper branded sat nav or whatever, but, I think that ruins these cars, OEM all the way on that front.

I'm surprised by the fact that Audi didn't spec them with heated seats and armrests as standard !

The Smarttop module can be bought from or fitted by Mods4cars.com

mods4cars Online Shop

Other forum members recommend one of the moderators NHN to retrofit RNSE.
Several threads about.

Both of these are on my wish list but not sure RNSE makes economic sense. It would be great linked through to a reversing camera which several people have done.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/55538-reverse-camera-into-b7-a4-done.html

Good luck

DWH

Yeah, the RNS-E is a bit dear really, considering it will only be a toy, so probably talked myself out of that already too!

Any luck in the viewings?

What you after Manual or tiptronic
I hear the manuals gearing ratios are setup for quicker sprint compromised with high revs in final drive

They are hoot and brilliant cars

I too wanted nav with mine, but compromised and bought the better car in condition, history, actual finish

No real luck yet, looked at 3, prices vary wildly, but 2 were a little ratty and a bit of a let down. The third looked well, but needed a bit spending, cam cover gaskets, traction control light, service, no storage box for roof in boot...shame as colour combo was superb, sprint blue with silver leather.

Not convinced on the tip either, as I really want to drive the car, not the car drive me.

Part of the fun

If the clutch hasn't been changed think you'll need to budget another £1k contingency

Having heard about the manual gear ratios and the pedals quite tight together, I decided for tiptronic
Don't dismiss it I would say

I too wanted sprint blue but the one I saw wasn't in the best shape for example the silver a pillar had dented
I know could get used part but as a guide audi wanted £500+

What you swapping from?

Thought the gears were the other way around ?
Thought the ratios on the tiptronic version were lower than the manual
Quite a few in the states used for drag racing and the quickest all seem to be tiptronic not manual

Currently got an L200 Animal new shape, Q7 3.0TDi, and a few vans that I jump in and out of. Had plenty of VAG bits over the years and actually sold Audi for a few years, at ye end of b6 and through b7, so know a bit about them, not much tho admittedly!!

I am struggling now, as loads of black about, and it think they look like any other A4 convertible out there, just with chrome mirrors.

There is a cheap Dolphin Grey one, which is a great colour, but it needs a bit of bodywork and wheels refurbing, but no heated seats, Bose or armrest, which suddenly makes it not so cheap, and it will still have 100k on it.

I quite the subtleness of the b6

Last few cars I wanted x colour and always ended up with something else

I've for grey and silver with heated seats.
Link up the one you've said?

I've had modded TT and R32 dsg, the S4 is a good motor. It's not poised as a true sports car out the box, but its fun, comfortable and goes well :)

Seems nice
I too looked at half leather option
But the one I looked at was the lighter colour and looked dirty

Mines that colour but with silver leather
If you're near bristol happy to show you mine

Just noticed on that, no centre arm rest

One thing I did once I bought mine was take it off long life service and got some decent oil for it fuchs titan pro ester based

Yep, no armrest, and there's no second hand ones about that I could see.

It needs 2/3 panels painting, and wheels doing.

I like half leather, less sloppy when you get enthusiastic...with your driving I mean.

Grey with silver, sell me it!

But mines a tiptronic

I'm surprised on lack of toys as standard
Ie no arm rest etc
Mine has Bose stereo, cd changer in glovebox, I was looking at a double din upgrade as mine already has it but is cd changer inbuilt and tape lol.

Also found it had electric folding mirrors, rear dipping passenger mirror in reverse too :)

Also has night timed light ie at night when I lock it or unlock the fog lights stay on for like 20 seconds, what's that called coming home lights

For some reason mine is spec'd with the newer wheels as have a 5th spare with it
Which I prefer as the avus III look best on avant I think

I like the Avus III on all S4's they don't need anything else.

Apart from spacers :)

If you have no luck buying I would part with mine as never intended to keep mine for long