B6 A4 1.8T Avant 163 bhp - 5 or 6 speed?

FrankG

Reaction score
I am thinking or trading my 14 month old 1.8T 190bhp saloon for a 1.8T 163bhp avant, the dealer said it comes with a 5 speed box only, is this correct, I'm not worried about the bhp as an ecu upgrade will sort that but I would rather a 6 speed box like what is currently on my 190. Is the dealer correct saying they can't be got in 6 speed. Here in Ireland there are very little petrol Avants to chose from.

I think only the 190's have 6-speed. I have a 150 (remapped to 200) and it's only 5-speed. Can't say that I find a problem with the 5 speed.

Have you remapped your 190? If not then yes the 163 will remap to more, i.e. 200 but it doesn't go as high as a 190 with remap (235ish).

I had a 150bhp 5 speed which I traded in for the 190bhp 6 speed and I have to say the 6th gear makes a huge difference especially at high speed or on motor way driving, The engine was always crying out to be changed up, it was very noticable in the passenger compartment, its hard to describe but you would know straight away once you drove a 6 speed. I didn't bother chipping the 190, plenty of grunt there for me. If I do buy the 163bhp I was thinking of the MTM re-map I really the like their turque figures.

The 163's are 5 speed FWD and 6 speed in Quattro <u>only</u> .

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I have a 163bhp 6 speed, quattro limited edition!

Chaz

[ QUOTE ]
I had a 150bhp 5 speed which I traded in for the 190bhp 6 speed and I have to say the 6th gear makes a huge difference especially at high speed or on motor way driving, The engine was always crying out to be changed up, it was very noticable in the passenger compartment, its hard to describe but you would know straight away once you drove a 6 speed. I didn't bother chipping the 190, plenty of grunt there for me. If I do buy the 163bhp I was thinking of the MTM re-map I really the like their turque figures.

[/ QUOTE ]

My comparison point is a very loud Golf GTI - the A4 is soooo quite in comparison on the motorway. I can see that 6 gears would help at 80 on the motorway though.

I remember reading that the 5 speed has a sweeter shift, I think that the 6 speed is a bit notchy.

I totally agree, the 6 speed box is notchy compared to the 5, I picked the car up yesterday, So far I am very happy, You can notice the difference in the power going from 190 to 163, there is a big difference but as soon as the maufactures warranty is up I will have it chipped to 200+. Delighted with the s-line spec. lots of nice touches.

Goodbye Saloon, Hello Avant>>>>>
new063.jpg
4-4-06045.jpg

Looks nice Frank.

Odd that it's got black roof rails and alloy window trims /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

RS4's look good, as do the mirrors.

I know the Irish spec' cars are different to the uk ones - the S-Line was 1.8t 190ps only over here.

Cheer's
Yes I was looking at the original owners order form and he did not spec the chrome roof rails, its a pity because they look sweet, the car came with original genuine 17" RS4's so I think I will leave them as the ride is more comfortable as compared to the 18's RS4 reps I had on my salloon. They are better suited to the country roads I drive on.

Strange indeed. I thought silver was standard and black a no cost option............

Maybe he went a bit mad and ticked too many boxes!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif