Wheel Bearing(s)...

jdw88rm

Reaction score
Evening guys,

Had a weird noise in the car for a while now but its getting louder and louder. It sounds like a humming noise but only comes on around 40mph+ and when accelerating. Also, today I could also feel slight vibrations in the pedal.
When stationary or travelling at low speed and I turn the wheel on full lock theres massive juddering in the steering wheel and loud noise - was told by salesman at Audi that it'll be my power steering pump on its way out although the fluid level is fine?!
I'm away with work at the moment so rang my mate who is a mechanic and he says it'll be a wheel bearing although it sounds like its coming from the engine?

ANY help from you guys would be fantastic!!

Cheers, Jonno

Jack it up and give the wheel a shake it it moves in and out its a wheel bearing

Just had my wheel bearing replaced today. It was noisy but no play in it, the lad that MOT'd the car for me jacked the car up and span the wheel while i was holding the aluminium upright on the front and it felt awful, it felt as ruff as a bears ****.

Oh dear. Another thing could be the drive shafts possibly? ??

Just taken it to a mechanic round the corner who suspects near side front wheel bearing and also pointed out a high pitched whine under the bonnet - more likely to be a belt that's too tight he says.

Won't be too tight as it's automatic tensioning unless it's the aircon. But unlikely.

You can check for which bearing, jack it up and spin the wheel holding the spring and feel for vibrations. I did a Rover 75 this morning.

Well I've bought the bearing and getting it fitted now. Also got a chirping noise now at slow speeds?! Is this another symptom of wheel bearing on the way out it something different?

Chirping?? I had a strange metallic noise with a cv joint.

I always thought if you had nasty noises on full steering lock it was usually the cv joint rather than the wheel bearing... Kerrang rocks...