A4 cabriolet boot leak

Tobester

Reaction score
This only started during last winter but has continued into the summer. I've read elsewhere on the interweb that this is a fairly common occurrence on the cabriolet but I have yet to find a definitive answer and I was wondering if anyone on here could help?

Basically the boot lid panel fills up with water which pours out when you open it, both from the panel itself but also down the rubber boots carrying the cabling from the car into the boot lid. This ultimately won't be doing any of the boot lid electronics any good (and there's a surprising amount in there).

As you can see in the photos the boot lid is level with the bodywork, the car itself is parked on the level, I have re-sealed the brake-light and the boot handle surround. The boot lid itself is fibreglass and the rubber seal is in good condition. There are no holes or damage to the boot lid or the surround, the hinges and struts all operate correctly. It can happen after rain fall, driving down wet roads or after a wash - basically any water landing on the car ends up behind the grey carpeted panel you can see in photo 5.

All thoughts/speculation/knowledge warmly welcomed!

Reactions: TLM
Mine did the very same .... You could hear the water sloshing in the boot lid !!
They're were 3 plugs in the edge of the boot lid where it closes onto the seal I popped these out no trouble since
The water now drains out through the bumper
Couldn't see any reason for it sealed center brake light number plate lamps etc

Thanks for that, I'll have a look and see if I can do the same to mine.

I'd still be interested in any ideas as to why/how it happens?

Remove the boot trim and climb inside with a torch and get someone to hose the rear of the car.

I had exactly the same problem recently. I removed the red lens for the boot lid brake light, reseated it with clear silicone. Not a drop of water since.

I had exactly the same problem recently. I removed the red lens for the boot lid brake light, reseated it with clear silicone. Not a drop of water since.

Yeah, I've already done that but it's still getting in.

Try talc on the boot seal. Close lid and get the hose out. It only takes the smallest of gaps for water to get in.

Good idea, I'll give it a try this weekend.

Hi Tobester, Were you able to fix your leak? The same has just started happening to me. Loads of water in the boot lid and no obvious way in. Please help me if you can.