Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    Neutral

Status

A4 cabriolet boot leak

This only started during last winter but has continued into the summer. I've read elsewhere on the interweb that this is a fairly common occurrence on the cabriolet but I have yet to find a definitive answer and I was wondering if anyone on here could help?

Basically the boot lid panel fills up with water which pours out when you open it, both from the panel itself but also down the rubber boots carrying the cabling from the car into the boot lid. This ultimately won't be doing any of the boot lid electronics any good (and there's a surprising amount in there).

As you can see in the photos the boot lid is level with the bodywork, the car itself is parked on the level, I have re-sealed the brake-light and the boot handle surround. The boot lid itself is fibreglass and the rubber seal is in good condition. There are no holes or damage to the boot lid or the surround, the hinges and struts all operate correctly. It can happen after rain fall, driving down wet roads or after a wash - basically any water landing on the car ends up behind the grey carpeted panel you can see in photo 5.

All thoughts/speculation/knowledge warmly welcomed!

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg
    A4 1.8T Quattro, Revo Stage 1, cat back custom stainless steel exhaust, B7 tail lights, A5 alloys

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Worcester, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
    Mine did the very same .... You could hear the water sloshing in the boot lid !!
    They're were 3 plugs in the edge of the boot lid where it closes onto the seal I popped these out no trouble since
    The water now drains out through the bumper
    Couldn't see any reason for it sealed center brake light number plate lamps etc

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for that, I'll have a look and see if I can do the same to mine.

I'd still be interested in any ideas as to why/how it happens?
    A4 1.8T Quattro, Revo Stage 1, cat back custom stainless steel exhaust, B7 tail lights, A5 alloys

Neutral

Status
    Worcester, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
    And me can't see how or where it gets in !

1st Gear

Status
    Remove the boot trim and climb inside with a torch and get someone to hose the rear of the car.

3rd Gear

Status
    I had exactly the same problem recently. I removed the red lens for the boot lid brake light, reseated it with clear silicone. Not a drop of water since.
    2003 A4 Cab 2.4 V6 Manual / 43k miles genuine woohoo (on a 10 year old car lol) / Ebony Black Metallic / Full Grey Leather / Fully Electric Seats / Heated Seats / Interior Light Pack / Cruise / Wood / Bose Symphony II / Black roof

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by leegsi View Post
    Remove the boot trim and climb inside with a torch and get someone to hose the rear of the car.
    Not sure I'm that brave! I can just see the missus taking advantage of that!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbyfan View Post
    I had exactly the same problem recently. I removed the red lens for the boot lid brake light, reseated it with clear silicone. Not a drop of water since.
    Yeah, I've already done that but it's still getting in.

3rd Gear

Status
    Try talc on the boot seal. Close lid and get the hose out. It only takes the smallest of gaps for water to get in.
    2003 A4 Cab 2.4 V6 Manual / 43k miles genuine woohoo (on a 10 year old car lol) / Ebony Black Metallic / Full Grey Leather / Fully Electric Seats / Heated Seats / Interior Light Pack / Cruise / Wood / Bose Symphony II / Black roof

Neutral

Status
    Good idea, I'll give it a try this weekend.