Tips on gearbox removal a4 b6 tdi fwd

Dan TheMan Welburn

Reaction score
Hi all im taking on the daunting task of doing my own flywheel and clutch on my a4, i know ideally it should be done on a ramp but sadly its a luxury i dont have, so ive got the car up on my 6tonne stands, ready to go, ive done a fair few clutches but this is the first ill of done on a longitudinal engine, ive read the guide on a4mods a few times but that seems to be for a quattro, as it mentions removing the main shaft, so im going to follow that as best i can,

I know one or two of you guys have done this diy on the floor before so any hints tips would be great, i know the box will be heavy but im certain ill be able to handle its weight and ill have a hand getting it back in

cheers

Best advice I can give is. Get the car high up and secure.

I changed the gearbox in my Passat B5.5 from a 5 speed to a 6 speed which involved removing the gearbox, gear change mechanism, starter motor, clutch DMF and then putting in new DMF/ clutch, different starter motor, gearbox, gearchange mechanism and then fabricating a new gearbox mount for the 6 speed box. That was an interesting weekend. Got the box out on my own but needed help to get the new one in.
the gearbox is around 75Kg.
I turned my trolley jack into a transmission jack with a wooden platform so this took most of the strain.
As above make sure you have plenty of room.

Ball of string is useful for tying stuff out of the way.

I tried to save time by removing the slave cylinder from the gearbox leaving the hydraulic connection intact so I wouldn't need to bleed it.
In the end took several hours to get the flaming thing back in. I would just disconnect the fluid connection and bleed it when you put it back together.

Karl.

Reactions: kanecullen89
I took the slave cylinder out before removing box, so looks like im in for some fun when i refit, took me about 6 hours in total stripping it and getting box out on my own, my clutch plate has had it.

My drive slopes so ive got the front up as high as i could and not touched the back, i had a little trouble taking the heatshield off that covers one of the driveshafts but it came in the end,

I was a little surprised to find the clutch had been out before as it had two odd bolts holding it in place, my car is on 117k so i would of expected this to be the first clutch change

However now im a little stuck on the flywheel, the bolts wont free as the flywheel just turns, whats the best way to lock it in place to get the bolts out?

Dan

Put one of the gearbox bolts in the engine and put a lever bar\big ***** screwdriver across it and wedge the end in the ring gear, you may need someone else to hold in place.

Last edited:
Put one of the gearbox bolts in the engine and put a lever bar\big ***** screwdriver across it and wedge the end in the ring gear, you may need someone else to hold in place.

That or you could use a 19mm socket with a long breaker bar to counterhold the crank...or a good, strong impact wrench !

i havent got the front in service position or anything like aux belts removed or anything so not alot of room, was feeling around on the crank pulley and its got 3 allen bolts im guessing the crank nut will be beneath this?

I used a small piece of chain to secure the flywheel. Put a pressure plate bolt through a link in the chain and a bolt on the gearbox housing through another link. This will stop the flywheel from moving and allow you to undo the bolts.

Sumo's idea worked well had a mate come round and lock flywheel off while i was on the wet floor in the rain, managed to get old flywheel off and replacement on before rain got too heavy, fingers crossed i get a few hours without rain either later today or tomorrow to finish it off

my new pressure plate the forks that go into the centre theyre not all a uniform shape like if i was to put a level in the middle of the pressure plate theyre not all perfectly equal is this ok?

they should as you tighten the outer bolts down all go to the same level, make sure youve tightened all the bolts down evenly around the pressure plate and did you have the friction plate the right way around and totally centre'd?

Ive just done the rebuild and what a complete and utter pain in the backside, but its on, i did have to remove pipe from slave cylinder to get it back in place, and ive bled it, but bite still feels very low so im gonna take it to get vacuum bled in the morning, and fingers crossed that should be it for clutch related work, timing belt and service next