Car wouldn't start earlier...

Padw

Reaction score
Went to start the car earlier and it was turning but wouldn't start. Ended up bump starting it and it's been fine since.

I scanned it and the only fault was the coolant temp sensor, which I don't believe would cause it not to fire up?

The battery was reading 13.8v on vagcom so that seems fine.

Any ideas before I start changing things that don't need to be changed?

Thanks

Wiring positive and earth to the starter and battery? Any other warnings on the dash like immobiliser?

not sure which engine you have but the coolant temp sensor can stop the engine firing over
its quite common on the 1.8t engine
coolant temp sensor can read as though its either really cold or really hot and adjust the start up accordingly
might be worth doing a bit more looking with vcds and see what it says about the sensor

The wiring seems fine and there was no immobiliser lights on the dash.

It's a 3.0 v6 model. I'm gonna do the coolant temp sensor and hopefully that was the culprit.

What else should I look for with the vagcom? I've only got the shareware version so can't do everything with it.

Thanks

for peace of mind I would also check the plugs and contacts, ground connections etc for corrosion but get the coolant sensor changed first.

Ok thanks for the advice. I'll look into it. Got a sensor on order from audi

im not sure what the shareware version is capable of
if possible you need to go into 01 engine and then measuring blocks
then scroll though the numbers until you find the one for the coolant temp sensor
then check what the actual and instrument readings are ....if there's a big difference swap the sensor

I checked it on vagcom and it was showing 93c I think, can't compare it to the instrument cluster because that dial doesn't move. Funnily enough, I went into module 17 (I think) cleared the codes and then the needle shot up to 90c like it should, but today it hasn't moved.

go into 17 instruments and check each individual setting
if you hold the cursor over each reading it should tell you what the std setting is

Will try that later. Thanks for your help