Avant boot Hinge mechanism issues

norris_309

Reaction score
Hi all,
Having some issues with my 2004 avant boot, in that the boot slams into the open state.
It seems to work fine for 90% of opening process, in that it opens in a controlled manner but then the final stage it flies up.
I've posted on here before regarding this, and have since bought new gas struts, but these are exactly the same.
I've contacted the strut company who have said to send them back, but i'm not sure it's them at fault?..
i've put the old ones back on for now, ready to send the new ones back.
But i've been informed of this 2 stage opening on the boot lid... now it appears that this part may be the issue, does anyone know how the 2 stage is controlled?? as it seems mine opens fine for stage 1 & then flies up uncontrollable from there?

I'm guessing there must be some sort of mechanism under the plastic cover between the hinges,
A4Boot
but am reluctant to remove this without knowing how to & what may lurk underneath, knowing my luck i'll break something & i'm already building up a list of jobs this car needs.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Not heard of this problem before but there isn't anything under those plastic covers. I had all the covers off on my Avant last week to run cables for a reverse camera.

thanks for that, i just can't get my head around how the boot can open to a stop & then be able to be pushed a little bit more?
do you happen to know the length of the struts on your car & part number?

mine came with shifty ebay struts on it, so i naturally assumed these were the fault.
and that may still be the case, but i have nothing to look at to compare with the new ones i bought.
The new ones i bought from SGS engineering are about 510mm end to end & 490mm from centres of ball joints.
The ebay ones on the car were slightly longer by about 10mm so about 520mm in total.

Just bee out to the car again & there are the arrows on the hinges & it opens normally until you see the arrow cut out & then flies up after that... i'm confused.. ****** cars!

Just buy genuine ones mate, there's a used pair on eBay for £27.99 or best offer. Or buy a new set from Audi/TPS and if the don't make a difference clean them up and take them back, least that way you'll know if the problem lies with the struts or not. Have you spoken to SGS regarding this two-stage operation and how it might work?

Just get new genuine struts from TPS/Audi, there is a basic hinge but nothing that would cause it to slam. If the hinge was faulty you would have aliment problems and it would be difficult to close.

Thanks for the replies, just wanted to try to confirm the struts are the issue not anything else.
Looks like my money saving on the struts turned into money wasting!! Just my luck.
I'll wait to see what the strut company say and go from there.
At least I know there isn't something else that could be at fault.

Cheers

Think there was a thread about this somewhere on here, I believe the boot is designed to work in two stages, hence the arrows on the plastic hinge covers. My boot just opens all the way without stoping anywhere. The boot lifters on mine are 500mm from centre to centre when the boot is fully open.

Well I've never heard of this so just went and checked mine. Well it it go's up and then about 8inches or so it slows down until it stops! So I guess that's what it means.