TYRES !!!!

phil1978

Reaction score
It's that time for some new tyres . . . . .

I have read all the posts regarding what tyres etc and most people seem to favour the GoodYear Eagle F1 GSD3's.
My car had Dunlop SPSport 9090's on from factory and have lasted for 25k miles and nothing to complain about in regards to lack of grip.

Here is my dilemma, I can get GSD3's for the same price as SPSport Maxx's, yet have never tried the Maxx's. Has anyone on here tried or got these????

If you have got either tyre, how would you rate them in longevity, grip, wet weather etc.
Any response or comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

In my experience Dunlops last forever because they just don't work, so how you only managed to get 25k miles out of them is a mystery. I had them on a Golf GTi (company car) and the rears did 68k miles, fronts 36k and they would wheelspin in 3rd!!! Scarily bad. It was a company car so couldn't get them changed.
Maybe they've improved since becoming part of Goodyear.

GSD's all day long. I have tried Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli and Avon, all be it on different cars, but the F1's for me are superior. The Pirelli Rosso's I had from new on the A4 did a good job and lasted over 30,000 miles, but the F1's have superior dry and wet grip and have hardly worn at all in 8,000 or so miles. At my service they measured 8mm - same as new.

My girlfriend had Conti Sport 2 on her A4 cab which are o.k, but wouldn't have them on my car. O.k for the cab though!

Steering feels better, grip is better, wear is excellent, they look good and don't cost too much.

I don't think I've ever heard a bad word said against the GSD's............

I must give them a try.

BUB

They keep getting good reviews in the motoring press but they seem to get overlooked most of the time when people are considering new tyres.

Anyone tried Vredestein?

I have Ultrac 235/45 17s' on my A4 and they are an improvement on the Pirelli casings that were originally on it. I've covered over 80,000 miles on them and and they are excellent in all conditions, I would recommend them.

If not just for the funky tread pattern.

tankman
the reasons are probably

1) cost
2) availability

from etyres

VREDESTEIN - ULTRAC
235/45R17W
Find out more... Quantity
£134.90 inc VAT each
Fully fitted price, no hidden extras.

GOODYEAR - EAGLE F1 GSD3
235/45R17Y
Find out more... Quantity
£109.90 inc VAT each
Fully fitted price, no hidden extras.

you can get 80000 on ONE set of GOOD tyres, wow, well worth the extra money then.

The GY F1 GSD3 I use on my fwd 1.9 tdi lasted 15000 miles...

80k miles on one set of tyres? I think not.
As always tyres are a compromise between good grip & good wear.
You can't have both, so it's always a trade off.

Oh dear! I knew I shouldn't have had a big lunch and glass of wine before that seminar on communication skills /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

Yes, sorry to disappoint everyone, I have covered a total of 80,000 miles on Ultrac tyres I have had 4 sets (I think) excluding punctures.

Sorry for misleading everyone! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ultimately, in a four wheel drive car it's about traction. Sometimes I want to drive the car like I've stolen it and the Ultracs do the job so well. No they won't last as long as some of the other casings listed and they're more expensive, but I bet I'll have more fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

My car costs £0.50 / mile in depreciation alone. Whether it costs an extra 3 or 6p per mile depending on tyre choice doesn't really affect much.

I always go for quality over longevity...although not silly supersoft tyres.

But that depends on how long you keep it for as the depreciation evens out over time.
My A4 cost 18k, is now worth about £2k and I've done 100k miles so that's 16p per mile depreciation and each additional mile now probably has no effect on resale value.
But yes, skimping on tyres is just madness, they're the one thing that can save your life.

hi everyone
I had vredstein ultracs on my a4 and was really pleased with them -much better than the continentals , lasted 20 k and gripped well, (imo). cost £80 all in,which seems to be the price over here . this time i have GSD3 s and am really impressed .your prices for vredstein seem to be very high.