Staggered Set Up S4

rjm180

Reaction score
I have read there can be issues with staggered set up on a quattro system but if you keep the diameters within a couple of percent then things should be ok.

To overcome a stance look that I am not happy with on the rears, I was thinking of buying two more rims of the same style to go on the rear, just wider. I have recently bought this set, I wanted 8.5's but was sent 8J's. I cant change them now as Ive been running them a couple of months. I dont really want to buy 4 new ones but 2, I may consider.

The set up would be:

Front ..... 245x35x19 8J

Rear ..... 245x35x19 8.5J

It is on stock height and there is enough clearance without rubbing if i was to go with the 8.5J it is just the quattro that might concern me.

Many thanks for you thoughts and opinions,

Lol.

It was to try and improve the look at the rear. The rims just tuck in a tiny bit too much and it just bugs me. I know it would only give me an extra 6.3mm but that may be all it needs to look ok for me.

Thanks for yopur reply, Yes I had originally thought of that but when i spoke to a firm that supplies them he said i would need at least 15mm spacers as otherwise with say 10mm there wouldnt be much for the spacer to fit on. I dont know if this is true. 15mm would be too much and would poke outside of the arch. ET is 35.

WHY?????

I wouldn't submit the quattro system to such in-balance, spacers are bad enough but the only way in my opinion if you must.

You run the danger of putting unwanted stress on CV joints and differentials, dangerous and costly possibly.

Chepaer to buy two new wheels than replace/repair differentials and axles!

Reactions: mattyb6
I'm running staggered LM replicas (8.5x19 front and 9.5x19 rear, with 235/35-19 tyres all round) and have been for nearly 3 years with no issues at all. The difference in rolling circumference between front and rear is minimal . As long as you replace all 4 tyres at the same time (you should do this anyway) it will be fine.

Ok thanks for your replies guys, mixed thoughts then.

As long as you keep the tyre width the same there should be no problems. It's more of an issue on the 4WD cars with the electronic haldex system.
Also 245 is a wide tyre for an 8" wheel, you would be better off moving down to 235.