Audi A4 2.0 FSI station wagon 2003 - information required

diy_guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New to the Audi club - very enjoyable so far.

I need some information on my recent purchase, in order to take good care of it.

1. Does my car have a cambelt or chain belt? Do either need replacing? The car has done 165,000 km's
  2. What fuel does my vehicle require? I've used both and can't notice a difference. Under the fuel cap, it just says 'unleaded only'
  3. Anything else worth noting on this vehicle? I live in New Zealand.
Thanks in advance

1. Cambelt. Check with the local Audi importer on the recommended change interval for your year/model as it has changed over the years.

2. Audi recommend that all their FSI engines are normally run on 98 RON (super unleaded), but use of 95 RON is acceptable. If 95 has a higher sulphur (sulfur) content then you will get as much as 10% lower mpg as the pre-cats need to be purged more often (so if 98 is less than 10% more expensive then the cost per mile will be lower - bizarre but true).

1. Have you definitely confirmed it has a cambelt? I've heard reports it is chain driven? Also, how much is it likely to cost to change the cambelt?

2. Good to know re: sulfur. I'll take that into account when buying premium next.

And do these chain need to be replaced? I've heard the tensioners require a sufficient amount of engine oil to work properly. (i.e critical to ensure oil is always topped up) Is this right?

Err - it's a belt, according to Audi when I asked them about my 2003 A4 Avant 2.0 petrol - which I understand has the FSI engine, although there's only the Audi rings on the engine cover - later cars seemed to have the badge and the letters FSI (or TFSI). And one of the invoices from the previous owner references the timing belt as having been changed.

As it happens, I have a bookmarked link from my researches at the time with a reference to a chain, that coming from an Australian forum - post #5 here 08 2.0 TSI or TFSI vs 2.0 FSI, Can anyone clear this up? - note that this refers to VW's, not specifically to Audi, but I understand the engines are essentially the same.

Why not just ask the local Audi dealers what your specific engine requires in terms of replacement intervals and whether it's belt driven or chain driven? I guess it's possible that the different markets may possibly have used different engines?

So what was the consensus on this? What is the easiest way to check for myself?

Also, if it is indeed a timing belt, how much should I prepare to spend replacing it?

Well, the consensus seems to be two of us saying it's got a belt (and in my case I can confirm that categorically) - one of us says it's got a chain (and I provided you with some suggestions about why this might well be the case - as indeed you too seem to reference). My Haynes manual references a timing belt. Why not whip off the timing belt upper cover and take a look? There are, to my knowledge, A4's fitted with engines with a timing chain - the big V8 is if I'm not mistaken. It certainly has issues with the tensioners at higher milages.

To my certain knowledge the one I have has a belt. You've referenced a chain driven engine - what's the source of this? Is it the same as the link I provided you with? Which clearly implies there may well be different engines fitted in different markets. Asking for advice on a UK forum is likely to be a little biased to the UK market.

Two of us have suggested speaking to Audi and outlined why you should speak to Audi. So have you followed this advice and what does Audi NZ say?

As we've advised, they'd tell you what it has and what the recommendation is for changing it. As to replacement cost, I guess it's a little hard to advise you on that without knowing parts and labour costs in New Zealand. Which may be different from here in the UK. General advice is change the waterpump and thermostat at the same time, and probably the other aux belts while it's all apart.

The invoice I have from 2010 shows it cost £239.59 to replace the t/belt and Vbelt, and water pump. The garage notes a recommendation to change the belt every 60k miles. Audi told me that or 5 years, whichever came first as I recall. The exact amount of labour isn't noted, other than £60 + VAT. Which would, I suspect, equate to a couple of hours, way back in 2010.

Mike

Last edited: